Posted: Jan 18, 2019
RHODE ISLAND VS. VCU - SERIES NOTES
- Sunday's game will be the seventh meeting all-time between the two schools.
- VCU holds a 6-0 advantage in the series, dating back to 2013.
- Rhody is looking for its first win in the series with the Rams of VCU.
- The last time the two teams faced on Jan. 10, 2018, URI lost 61-49 in the Ryan Center.
- Tera Reed leads VCU with 13.2 points per game.
- VCU is undefeated in A-10 play, most recently beating Fordham 47-44 on Jan. 16.
- Rhode Island senior Jalissa Ross has settled in to a role player for the Rams in conference play.
- Ross has scored at least seven points, grabbed at least six rebounds, and dished out at least two assists over the last four games.
- In road wins at Richmond and Saint Louis, Ross combined for 10.5 points, 7.0 rebounds, and 2.5 assists.
- The Roxbury, Mass. product leads the team in rebounds (6.8) in four games of A-10 play.
MOTRECHUK MAKES MOST BLOCKS IN A GAME IN PROGRAM HISTORY
- In Rhode Island's win over Saint Louis last time out, senior Dina Motrechuk made eight blocks - the most stops in a game all-time.
- The Staten Island, N.Y. native matched the previous record of six blocks in a game three times her sophomore year.
- In the win, Motrechuk added a season-high nine points and seven rebounds in 23 minutes off the bench.
- Her energy off the bench provided the boost the Rams needed to grab the program's first -ever victory in Chaifetz Arena.
LAST TIME OUT: RAMS GRAB 68-56 WIN AT SAINT LOUIS
- The Rams used balance scoring to earn their second conference road win in a 68-56 victory at Saint Louis.
- Saint Louis scored a quick six points in the first quarter from 3-pointers by Jordyn Frantz - two of her five 3-pointers in the game. That was the largest lead the Billikens would get for the rest of play. Rhody entered the break up 29-26.
- Frantz scored a quick 3-pointer to tie it at 29 in the the third, followed by a Ciaja Harbison jumper to go up two at the 8:08 mark.
- However the Rams used a 16-7 run to close out the period to keep their lead 46-38.
- The rest of play was all Rhode Island, as they never looked back for the rest of the game and cruised to their first victory in Chaifetz Arena.
- Senior Dina Motrechuk had a program-record eight blocks in 22 minutes of play. She added nine points, seven rebounds, and one steal.
- Redshirt junior Elemy Colome scored a team-high 16 points including 7-of-8 from the free-throw line. She added three rebounds, three assists, one steal and one block.
- Sophomore Marta Vargas was the second Ram to score in double figures, contributing 15 points on 5-of-7 from the the floor and 3-of-4 from beyond the arc.
- The Ram's 11 blocked shots tied for second-most stops in a game. Saint Louis committed 24 turnovers, a season high. The Rams scored 17 points off those miscues.
- Rhody's bench outscored the Billiken's 24-15.
- The Rams held SLU to 6-of-21 from the arc (28.6%).