Rhode Island Starters
Ross, Moffitt, Vargas, Streeter, Jorgensen
Omogrosso, Vojinovic, Richardson, Lass, Sole
How it Happened
A late spurt was not enough for the Rams as they fell to Duquesne 80-71 Saturday afternoon.
The Dukes (22-5, 12-2 A-10) jumped ahead with three 3-point basket scoring posessions to make the score 9-2 in the opening two minutes. Rhode Island (3-24, 1-13 A-10) answered by going on a 7-0 run and tied the score at 9 after a fast break steal by Maia Moffitt. It was 15-15 game at the first media timeout (5:00). A Chassidy Omogrosso layup put the Dukes up 17-15 but a good 3-pointer by Laura Perez pushed the Rams on top 18-17 with 2:05 left in the period. Rhody went into the second down 23-20. It was back and forth play in the second quarter until the Dukes went on a 11-4 run to go into the break up 44-35.
Duquesne pushed its lead to as many as 19 points in the fourth quarter (71-52). The Rams chipped away at the deficit, after Moffitt converted a three-point play with 1:23 left of the game making the score 74-67. A jumper by Nicole Jorgensen got the Rams within five with 28 seconds left, but after two successful trips to the free throw line for the Dukes, the Rams ran out of time.
Inside the Box Score
- Sophomore Nicole Jorgensen recorded her third straight double-double with 22 points and 10 rebounds. It was her seventh double-double of the season and the 12th of her career.
- Freshman Maia Moffitt went 3-of-3 from the field and 4-of-5 from the charity stripe for 10 points. She added five rebounds, three assists, and two steals.
- Redshirt sophomore Elemy Colome had 17 points, and five assists in 26 minutes off the bench.
- Junior Jalissa Ross added seven points, three rebounds, and two steals before fouling out.
- Duquesne had four players score in double figures: Kadri-Ann Lass (18), Chassidy Omogrosso (17), Chad Richardson (16), and Libby Bazelak (11).
- Rhode Island committed 11 turnovers to Duquesne's 15. The Rams scored 14 points on those miscues.
- Rhody had 46 points scored in the paint.
- Rhode Island's bench edged out Duquesne's 24-19.
The Rams return home to host St. Bonaventure on Wednesday, Feb. 21. Tipoff is set for 7 p.m.