Rhode Island: 4-10, 0-2 A-10
Massachusetts: 6-9, 0-2 A-10
Location: Mullins Center – Amherst, Mass.
Date: Wednesday, Jan. 4
Tip-off Time: 7 p.m. EST
Live Stats | Twitter | Video
RHODE ISLAND VS. MASSACHUSETTS - SERIES NOTES
- Wednesday's game will be the 77th in the all-time series between Massachusetts and Rhode Island. UMass leads the series, 42-34.
- The teams have met twice in each of the last three seasons, with both sides winning once each year.
- Last season, the Rams won 80-79 in Amherst. Rhode Island made six straight free throwns in the final 28 seconds to hold on for the victory. UMass earned a season split by winning 71-64 at the Ryan Center, rallying from a 19-point deficit.
- Massachusetts head coach Tory Verdi is in his first season. He came to Amherst after four seasons at Eastern Michigan, where he had a record of 72-61.
- Rhode Island is 17-20 all-time in games played in Amherst. In addition to playing games in Amherst and Kingston, Rhode Island and UMass have also met in Syracuse, N.Y. (UMass won 75-66 on Jan. 9, 1980) and Storrs, Conn. (Rhody won, 89-69 on Nov. 29, 1980).
WILSON TOPS 30 POINTS AGAIN
- Junior Charise Wilson scored 33 points last time out against Fordham, marking her second straight contest with more than 30.
- She also had 34 points at St. Bonaventure in the conference opener.
- Wilson has scored more than 30 points four times this season and six times in her career.
- The rest of the A-10 has combined to produce three 30-point performances.
- Through the first week of conference play, Wilson has scored a league-best 67 points. It is the most points ever in a two-game span by a Rhody player.
- Against Fordham, she made 14 field goals in 28 attempts. Both marks represented the second most in a single game in Rhode Island history.
RHODY STAFF FEATURES FOUR HEAD COACHES
- Veteran coach Dan Durkin has been named an interim assistant coach on Daynia La-Force's staff for the remainder of the 2016-17 season.
- Durkin most recently was an assistant coach at Providence, where he was part of Susan Robinson Fruchti's staff for four seasons.
- Durkin was the head coach at Duquesne for 14 seasons from 1993-2007.
- With the addition of Durkin, Rhode Island now has a combined 41 seasons of collegiate head coaching experience on its coaching staff. La-Force is in her 12th season (Rhode Island – 3, Northeastern – 8, New Haven – 1). Durkin has 14 seasons, all at Duquesne. Marcus Reilly has eight seasons (Rhode Island College – 4, CCRI – 4) and Stephanie Tobey has seven seasons (Lynchburg – 5, Lasell – 2).
RAYSOR PROVIDING BOOST OFF THE BENCH
- Junior captain Tyler Raysor is shooting a team-best .564 from the floor this season.
- After missing her first four shots of the season (all at Syracuse), Raysor is hitting .629 on field goal attempts since.
- She played a career-best 17 minutes against Fordham and is averaging 3.7 points and 2.5 rebounds per contest.
WARD PROVIDING A CONSTANT PRESENCE
- Junior Dominique Ward leads the team with an average of 34.9 minutes per game, which is the sixth highest average in the Atlantic 10.
- Ward leads the Rams in rebounding (5.8 per game) and is second on the team in scoring (8.4 points/game), assists (27), steals (24) and blocks (17).
- She already has made a career-high 17 3-pointers.
- She has made 35 straight starts and played in every possible game of her career (74 straight contests).
ODDS AND ENDS
- Charise Wilson currently has 266 career assists and needs six more to tie Michele Washington (1982-86) for 10th place in Rhode Island history. The rest of the team has 218 career assists combined.
- Wilson is fourth in the A-10 with 4.4 assists per game.
- Wilson is 10th in Rhode Island history with 437 field goals. Next on the list are Carol Smith (449 from 1980-84), Marcie Byrd (451 from 1992-96) and Anne Kelsen (456 from 1989-93).
- Rhode Island is averaging 19.2 turnovers per game. Over the last three games, the Rams have lowered their turnovers to 15.3 per contest.
- Rhode Island is 3-0 when it scores 70 or more points. The Rams are 1-10 when scoring less than 70.