Wallack, Banker, Whittaker, Lewis, Tabakman
Timbilla, Mital, Bomben, Harris, Pierre-Louis
Points: Melendez (19) | Rebounds: Wallack (9) | Assists: Wallack, Whittaker (4) | Steals: Palmer (3) | Blocked Shots: Palmer, Lewis (1) | Minutes Played: Whittaker (40)
Points: Harris (20) | Rebounds: Pierre-Louis (13) | Assists: Henry (5) | Steals: Five players (1) | Blocked Shots: Four Players (1) | Minutes Played: Mital (36)
How it Happened:
Rhode Island (7-21, 2-13 A-10) led by one point with 10:23 to go, but Massachusetts ended the game on a 25-11 run to beat the Rams 69-56 Sunday.
Trailing by eight points with a little more than 12 minutes to go, Rhode Island rallied to pull ahead 45-44 on a Kiara Palmer layup with 10:23 left. From there, the Minutewomen (4-24, 1-13 A-10) surged behind the shooting of Jasmine Harris (20 points, 4 3-pointers) and Emily Mital, who scored all nine of her points in the second half.
The win was the first conference victory for UMass, which outscored the Rams 40-28 in the second half. It was the fifth straight for Rhode Island, which has now dropped 47 in a row on the road.
Inside the Box Score:
- Rhode Island's Tayra Melendez returned after missing the last five games. She scored a team-high 19 points.
- Sophomore Samantha Tabakman scored 13 points and grabbed six rebounds before fouling out.
- Senior Kerry Wallack had nine rebounds and four assists. She is now nine boards short of 500 for her career.
- Kiara Palmer had a strong game off the bench, scoring seven points, grabbing seven rebounds and picking up three steals in 23 minutes.
- Rhode Island was 1-for-6 from 3-point range. Over the last three games, the team is 3-for-25 from deep.
Stat of the Game:
9 – There were a season-high nine jump balls, as both teams were scrapping for loose-ball rebounds.
Rhody closes out the regular season at home Saturday, March 1 against Fordham. It will be the final home game for seniors Kerry Wallack and Emilie Cloutier, who will be honored before the game.