Melendez, Cloutier, Bullard, Thomas, Tabakman
Rooney, Collins, Clark, Strickland, Corning
Points: Melendez (13)
Rebounds: Cloutier (7)
Assists: Bullard, Cloutier (2)
Steals: Melendez (3)
Blocked Shots: Tabakman (4)
Minutes Played: Thomas (35)
Points: Rooney (18)
Rebounds: Clark (11)
Assists: Clark, Collins (3)
Steals: Rooney (4)
Blocked Shots: Clark (2)
Minutes Played: Rooney, Collins (40)
How it Happened:
The Rams trailed by just three (28-25) at halftime, but Fordham opened the second frame on with an 11-3 run to increase its lead to 39-28 with 10 minutes remaining in the regulation. Rhody clawed its way back and made it a two-possession game (45-40) with 1:59 left to play, but Fordham held on for the 51-42 victory.
Inside the Box Score:
- With the loss, Rhode Island drops to 6-20 (1-10) while Fordham improves to 19-7 (9-2).
- URI freshmen Brianna Thomas (35), Samantha Tabakman (34), Symone Bullard (33) and Tayra Melendez (32) combined for 134 of the team's 200 minutes played. Seniors Lara Gaspar and Ajanae Boone did not see any time on the floor.
- Rhode Island's defense held Fordham to its worst shooting percentage of the season as the Rams connected on just 16-of-63 attempts from the field (25.4%). Fordham entered the game averaging 58 points on 38% shooting.
- Nearly half (23) of Fordham's 51 points were the direct result of URI's 21 turnovers.
- Rhody held a 16-6 edge in points scored in the paint, but Fordham netted 10 three-pointers to URI's one.
- Melendez led the Rams with a team-high 13 points and three steals. She has now scored in double figures in 15 of the team's 26 games and has been Rhody's top scorer 12 times.
- Samantha Tabakman also scored in double figures with 10 points while adding six rebounds, four blocked shots and a steal.
- Emilie Cloutier was URI's top rebounder, finishing the night with six boards.
- Erin Rooney (18) and Marrah Strickland (14) each scored in double figures for Fordham. Samantha Clark pulled down a game-high 11 rebounds.
The Rams return to the Ryan Center on Sunday afternoon when they host Saint Louis at 5 p.m. The game will be the back end of a doubleheader with the Rhody men's team, which takes on La Salle at 2 p.m.