Rhode Island opened its outdoor season with a victory at the Bryant Black & Gold Invitational Saturday. The Rams had a total of 190 team points, including six first-place finishers. Brown finished second (101.5 pts), Massachusetts was third (96 pts) and host Bryant finished fourth (90.5 pts).
Highlights from the Track
- Adam Franklin won the 110 meter hurdles in 15.03 seconds. Callan Davies was third (15.23s).
- Franklin placed second in the 400 meter hurdles in 54.06 seconds. Davies was seventh, crossing the finish line in 56.54 seconds.
- Anthony Delasanta won the 400 meter dash in 48.45 seconds for a Black & Gold Invitational record. Delasanta edged the previous record of 48.53 by his former teammate, Nigel Hill, by .08 seconds. Jordan Ross finished sixth in 50.22 seconds.
- Delasanta placed second in the 200m in 21.928 seconds, missing first place by just .003 seconds. Jeff Santos was fifth (22.68s) and Ross was eighth (22.90s)
- Santos placed third in the 100 meter dash in 11.28 seconds, and Justin Marsland was sixth (11.50s).
- Garrett Robinson won the long jump with a mark of 6.99 meters.
- Sam Coppola (1:56.75) and Shawn Carlson (1:56.87) were fifth and sixth in the 800 meters.
- Johnathan Buchanan placed third in the hammer throw on Friday with a mark of 53.68 meters. Abraham Salako was seventh (46.83m) and Jide Akinjisola was 12th (42.59m).
- Brian Coyne (10:04.28) and Colin Gardina (10:31.31) finished third and fourth in the steeplechase.
- Eric Wicks won the high jump after clearing 2.02 meters. Quindel Wilson was fourth (1.92m) and Jack Reichenbach was eighth (1.87m).
- The 4x100m relay team of Jordan Ross, Anthony Delasanta, Adam Franklin, and Jeff Santos placed third in 42.24 seconds.
- Gregory Potter finished fifth in the pole vault with a mark of 4.15 meters. Stephen Cirella was seventh (4.00m).
- Kellen Waters placed second in the 1500 meters with a time of 3:58.08. Nathan Coogan (4:00.26) and Rock Fortna (4:00.29) also earned points for the Rams, finishing sixth and seventh respectively.
- Matthew Vinacco was fifth in the 5000 meters with a time of 15:48.75.
- The 4x800m relay team of Nathan Coogan, Sam Coppola, Rock Fortna, and Tyler Rubush won in 7:53.68.
- Sawyer Moe finished sixth in the javelin with a throw of 55.43 meters.
- Derek Jacobs won the discus with a 50.28 meter throw. Oliver Gunski (45.55m) was fourth and Nicholas White (42.90m) finished eighth.
- Andrew Birgin placed second in the shot put with a mark of 15.03 meters. Jacobs (15.00m), Buchanan (13.24m) and White (13.08m) also earned points for the Rams.
Rhody travels to compete in the Colonial Relays next Thursday, April 4th. Competition is scheduled to begin at 10:00 a.m.