FAIRFAIX, VA. - The Rhode Island men's track and field squad is second after day one of the 2019 Atlantic 10 Indoor Track and Field Championship. Rhody sits behind the Minutemen of Massachusetts, who have 35 team points. The Rams collected 34 team points after Saturday's events hosted by George Mason.
Team Standings - Day One - 5 Events Scored
1. Massachusetts 35
2. Rhode Island 34
3. George Mason 30
4. Saint Louis 28
5. VCU 25
6. Fordham 15
7. St. Joseph's 10
8. Davidson 9
9. La Salle 8
10. George Washington 1
- Adam Franklin qualified for the 60 meter hurdle finals with a preliminary time of 8.28 seconds.
- Anthony Delasanta finished fifth in the 400 meter dash preliminary round with a final-qualifying time of 49.54 seconds.
- Delasanta also qualified for the 200 meter finals in 22.21 seconds.
- De'Von McGriff had a qualifying time of 1:06.21 in the 500 meter dash preliminaries.
- Joseph Carter qualified for the 60 meter dash final, crossing the finish line in 7.10 seconds in the preliminaries.
- Nicholas Fitch ran a qualifying 1:56.80 in the 800 meter prelims.
- Kellen Waters (2:30.06) and Nathan Coogan (2:30.04) both qualified for the 1000 meter finals.
- Thomas Vadis was crowned weight throw champion with a personal best throw of 19.21 meters (63' .25"). The title was the senior's first, having finished third the last two years. Johnathan Buchanan finished seventh with a throw of 16.34 meters (53' 7.5"), also earning points for the Rams.
- Ryan Wilkes placed third in the pole vault after clearing 4.80 meters (15' 9.00"). Stephen Cirella was seventh with a mark of 4.20 meters (13' 9.25).
- Jack Reichenbach was runner-up in the long jump with a leap of 6.92 meters (22' 8.50"). Trevor Rooney also earned points for the Rams in the event, marking 6.66 meters (21' 10.25") for eighth.
- The distance medley relay team of Rock Fortna, Jordan Ross, Shawn Carlson, and Tyler Rubush finished fourth in 10:08.82.
The Rams continue competition at the Atlantic 10 Indoor Track and Field Championship tomorrow, Feb. 24 beginning at 9:00 a.m.