KINGSTON, R.I. - The Rhode Island men's track and field team begin championship season this weekend as they travel to George Mason University in Fairfax, Va. for the Atlantic 10 Outdoor Track and Field Championship.
Rhode Island at the A-10 Championship
- The Rams look to defend the title after winning its fourth outdoor title since 2010 last season.
- Rhode Island has competed in every Atlantic 10 Outdoor Championship since the league started hosting the outdoor meet in 1997.
- The Rams finished fourth in 1997 and 1998, but have never finished lower than third since then.
- Rhode Island won the A-10 Indoor title this winter, the 11th in program history.
Last Time on the Track
- Rhode Island split the roster as some competed at the Penn Relays on Friday and Saturday while the rest competed in the Brown Springtime Invitational on Sunday. Both meets were non-team scoring.
- At the Penn Relays, the sprint medley team of Joseph Carter, Jaleel Felton, Anthony Delasanta, and Sam Coppola placed third with a time of 3:25.77.
- Brandon Amo placed third in the hammer with a throw of 60.08 meters. Mahlik Handley (51.20 meters) finished 21st.
- Casey Burley placed 10th in the triple jump with a mark of 14.33 meters.
- Greg McManus placed 14th in the javelin (57.96 meters) and Nick Danner finished 19th (56.49 meters).
- At the Brown Springtime Invitational, William Thibault won the pole vault with a mark of 4.85 meters.
- Anthony McQueen finished second in the 400 meter hurdles with a time of 55.64 seconds.
- Jacob Reilly was second in the high jump after clearing 1.90 meters.
- Brandon Amo placed second in the hammer throw (60.66 meters) and Mahlik Handley was third (58.08 meters).
- Adam Franklin won the 200 meter dash in 22.45 seconds.
- Shawn Carlson finished ninth in the 400 meters (52.54 seconds).
- Charlie McLaughlin finished 11th in the 800 meters in 2:05.49.
- Darrik Muroski placed sixth in the shot put (14.77 meters). Ryan Roger (14.41 meters) placed eighth, and Nicholas White (14.17 meters) finished ninth.
- Derek Jacobs finished third in the discus with a throw of 46.57 meters, White placed fourth (46.31 meters) and Muroski was fifth (44.65 meters). Ryan Roger had a mark of 40.97 meters, and Stephen Cirella threw 35.46 meters.
- Cam Reed placed fifth in the javelin with a throw of 47.50 meters.
Hill Named Track Performer of the Week, Amo Also Collects Honors
- Hill, a 100 meter and 200 meter specialist, was named Atlantic 10 Track Performer of the Week after he ran just his fourth 400 meter dash with a time of 46.86 seconds at last Tuesday's Holy Cross Classic. The time is second in program history, top in the Atlantic 10 and qualifies him for the first round of NCAA's in a second event.
- Amo earned Field Performer of the Week honors thanks to a career week after he finished third in the hammer throw with his first 60 meter effort (60.08m) at the Penn Relays on Saturday. He then came back on Sunday to throw in the Brown Springtime Invitational and threw another career best of 60.66m (199' 0") to take over the conference lead. He's currently 43rd in the region.