Atlantic 10 Outdoor Championship
University of Massachusetts - Amherst, Mass.
The University of Rhode Island men's track & field team currently sits in first place after day one of the Atlantic 10 Outdoor Championship in Amherst, Mass. with 78.5 points.
The Rams won five individual titles during the first day of the meet, including a sweep of all of the field events.
- Senior Michael DiMambro sits in third after day one of the decathlon with 3419 points, while junior Jacob Moran is in fifth with 3388 points.
- DiMambro won the 100-meter dash (11.06 seconds) for 847 points, finished fifth in the long jump (21' 3.25") for 693 points, fifth in the shot put (36' 3") for 549 points, sixth in the high jump (5' 8.75") for 585 points and second in the 400-meter dash (51.53 seconds) for 745 points.
- Moran took sixth in the 100-meter dash (11.52 seconds) for 748 points, second in the long jump (23' 1.25") for 823 points, second in the shot put (46' 0.75") for 644 points, fifth in the high jump (5' 10") for 610 points and seventh in the 400-meter dash (55.91 seconds) for 563 points.
- Junior Casey Burley was the first A-10 champion of the day for Rhode Island, winning the long jump with a distance of 7.48 meters (24' 6.5"). Freshman Childress Cannon took sixth in 7.06 meters (23' 2") and junior Nigel Riley finished seventh in 6.89 meters (22' 7.25").
- The Rams took the top-three spots in the hammer throw. Senior Alex Briggs won the event (192' 7"), followed by Joseph Mattson (183' 9") and Olusegun Vadis (175' 8").
- Senior Ondrej Honka defends his pole vault crown with a height of 4.70 meters (15' 5"). Sophomore Ryan Wilkes took bronze with the same height, but needing one more jump to reach it.
- Redshirt freshman Gregory McManus continued with his impressive season with gold in the javelin with a distance of 63.75 meters (209' 2"). Moran took seventh in 58.13 meters (190' 8").
- Freshman Eric Wicks jumped 1.97 meters (6' 5.5") in the high jump to capture the A-10 title in the event.
- Sophomore Timothy Slack finished 14th in the 3000-meter steeplechase with a PR of 9:49.30.
- Junior Nigel Hill took first in the 100-meter prelims with a time of 10.62 to qualify for the finals. Senior DeAngelo Berry (10.77 seconds) and sophomore Joseph Carter (10.89 seconds) also qualified.
- Hill also took the number-one spot in the 200-meter dash in 21.07 seconds. Carter finished ninth (21.77 seconds), missing the finals by 0.02 seconds.
- Sophomore Adam Franklin finished first in the 400-meter hurdle prelims in 52.61 seconds. Freshman Max Dickens took third in 53.23 seconds. Both will be in the finals tomorrow.
- Junior Marlon Montague finished fourth in the 400-meter prelim with a time of 47.73 seconds, qualifying him for tomorrow's finals. Senior Jared Gray also qualified with a time of 48.34 seconds for the eighth, and final, place.
- Freshman Sam Coppola was the only Ram to qualify for the 800-meter final, finishing fifth in the prelims with a personal-best 1:53.60.
The A-10 Outdoor Championship concludes tomorrow, May 7, with the remainder of the decathlon events, the remainder of the throw and multi events and the finals of the running events. The first event is scheduled to begin at 9 a.m.