KINGSTON, R.I. - The Rams had a split squad this weekend, with part of the team traveling to Florida for the Hurricane Alumni Invitational and the rest going to New Hampshire for the UNH Quad Meet. Rhody set numerous personal records were set at the non-team scoring Hurricane Invitational, while the rest of the squad took fourth out of six teams.
New Hampshire Quad Meet
University of New Hampshire - Durham, N.H.
The Rhode Island Rams men's track & field team sent most of the roster to the New Hampshire Quad Meet with UMass Lowell, Maine, Brown and Holy Cross on Saturday, Apr. 8. Rhody finished fourth with 84 points, finishing behind UMass Lowell (160), UNH (130) and Maine (108).
- Junior Joe DiPalma won the 800-meter run with a time of 1:59.23.
- Sophomore Joseph Mattson finished second in the hammer throw with a distance of 53.20 meters (174' 6"). Olusegun Vadis also earned points for the Rams with a sixth-place finish and a distance of 49.45 meters (162' 3").
- Sophomore De'Von McGriff was the only Ram in the top 10 in the 400-meter dash. McGriff ran it in 51.02 seconds for third.
- Junior Anthony McQueen was the only URI athlete to run the 400-meter hurdles. He finished fourth in 57.85 seconds.
- Junior Nigel Riley was also the only Ram in his event. He finished fourth in the long jump at 6.57 meters (21' 6.75").
- Junior Darrik Muroski set a PR in the shot put and took fourth with a distance of 15.72 meters (51' 7").
- Freshman Peyton McAllister reached a height of 4.40 meters (14' 5.25") for a fourth-place finish in the pole vault.
- Timothy Slack and Abdullah Kaba both competed in the 3000-meter steeplechase. Slack took fourth in the time of 10:36.83 and Kaba fifth in 10:38.84.
- Yeury Galva finished in fifth in the 200-meter dash (23.10 seconds).
- The 4x400-meter relay team of Griffin Cobb, Joe DiPalma, Troy Stegman and Sam Coppola finished fifth with a time of 3:34.17.
- Sophomore Nicholas White (42.96 meters, 140' 11"), junior Darrik Muroski (42.79 meters, 140' 5") and senior Ahmaad Randall (39.69 meters, 130' 2") finished finished sixth, seventh and ninth, respectively, in the discus throw.
- Three Rams were in the top 10 in the 100-meter dash. Freshman Childress Cannon took seventh (11.18 seconds), freshman Yeury Galva finished eighth (11.21 seconds) and junior Nigel Riley took 10th (11.46 seconds).
- Junior Jacob Reilly took seventh in the high jump with a height of 1.90 meters (6' 2.75").
- Freshman Rock Fortna took ninth in the 1500-meter with a time of 4:11.32. Sophomore Nicholas Celico finished 14th at 4:12.84.
- Senior Adam Thies was the highest Rhode Island athlete in the 5000-meter run. Thies finished 12th in 16:09.99.
Hurricane Alumni Invitational (Day Two)
University of Miami - Coaral Gables, Fla.
The Rhode Island Rams men's track & field team finished up day two of the Hurricane Alumni Invitational. The finals of the decathlon were decided and the track events took place.
- The first event of the day was the 110-meter hurdles. Michael DiMambro finished third (15.28 seconds) for 816 points, while Jacob Moran took ninth (16.91 seconds) for 634 points.
- Moran won the next event, the discus, with a toss of 42.07 meters (138' 0") for 707 points, while DiMambro fouled on all three tosses.
- DiMambro bounced back in the pole vault with a fourth-place finish (4.00 meters, 13' 1.5"), but suffered an injury that caused him to withdraw from the decathlon. Moran, the sole Ram left, finished sixth with a height of 3.90 meters (12' 9.5") for 590 points.
- Moran won the javelin throw with a distance of 58.25 meters (191' 1") to earn him 712 points.
- Moran finished eighth in the last event, the 1500-meter run, with a time of 5:32.00 for 390 points.
- When it was all said and done, Moran finished fifth in the decathlon with 6349 points.
- Rhode Island finished second and third in the pole vault. Ondrej Honka took the number-two spot with a height of 5.00 meters (16' 4.75"), while Ryan Wilkes finished with bronze at 4.90 meters (16' 0.75").
- Max Dickens finished fifth in the 400-meter hurdles with a time of 53.03 seconds. His run was a personal record.
- The 4x100-meter relay team of DeAngelo Berry, Joseph Carter, John Stallworth and Nigel Hill finished sixth with a time of 41.16 seconds. It is the seventh-fastest 4x100-meter relay time of Rhode Island history.
- Alexander McGrainer took sixth in the 800-meter with a time of 1:55.28.
- Marlon Montague finished eighth in the 400-meter with a time of 48.01 seconds. Jared Gray took 20th in 49.59 seconds.
- John Stallworth finished ninth in the 110-meter hurdles with a time of 14.44 seconds. Adam Franklin took 20th in 15.26 seconds.
- Nigel Hill finished ninth in the 200-meter in 21.48 seconds.
- Hill was also the highest-finishing Ram in the 100-meter. He ran it in 10.83 seconds for 15th.
- To end the day, the team of Max Dickens, Adam Franklin, Jared Gray and Marlon Montague took fourth in the 4x400-meter relay with a time of 3:12.92.
The Rams travel to New Haven, Conn. for the Owl Decathlon on Thursday, Apr. 13 and Friday, Apr. 14. Day one is scheduled to begin at 1 p.m., while day two will start at 10 a.m.