FAIRFAX, Va. - James Strawderman, Mahlik Handley, and Nick Danner each won their respective event to help the Rams to the overall lead after Day One at the Atlantic 10 Outdoor Track & Field Championships.
Live results are available at atlantic10.com.
- James Strawderman won the pole vault, clearing 4.85m. The victory makes Strawderman the second three-time winner of the outdoor pole vault in Atlantic 10 history. The only other athlete to do so was URI's Sean Strizzi, who won four from 2005-2008.
- Mahlik Handley defended his title in the hammer throw, winning by over four meters, throwing 57.66m. He is the sixth Ram to win the hammer throw.
- Nick Danner also defended his title in the javelin, throwing 58.25m. Rhode Island has now won the javelin at each of the past five championship meets.
- Alex Briggs and Brandon Amo placed third and fourth in the hammer throw. Briggs threw 52.24m and Amo threw 50.29m.
- William Thibault tied for third in the pole vault, clearing 4.70m.
- John Pangborn was third in the javelin, throwing 56.31m. Jacob Moran was fourth in the same event, throwing 54.80m.
- Casey Burley was sixth in the long jump, reaching 6.74m.
- Michael DiMambro and John Pangborn are currently first and second in the decathlon after the first five events.