KINGSTON, R.I. - Following another Atlantic 10 Indoor Championship, the Rhode Island Men's Track & Field team will begin the outdoor portion of the season in Durham, N.H. at the UNH Outdoor Season Opener.
The Rams will compete in Durham beginning at 11:00 a.m. with the Men's Javelin Throw.
The rest of the event schedule can be found HERE.
All other meet info will be available HERE on Friday, April 3.
Getting Things Started
James Strawderman officially opened the season for the squad when he competed at the 88th annual Nike Clyde Littlefield Texas Relays last week. Strawderman finished tied for 15th in the pole vault, clearing 5.05 m (16' 6.75") and leads the Atlantic 10 by more than a foot and a half. Strawderman is also tied for 38th nationally in the event.
After kicking things off at UNH, the rest of the outdoor schedule is as follows:
Wednesday/Thursday, April 8/9 - UConn Decathlon - 1:00 p.m./10:00 a.m. - Storrs, Conn.
Saturday, April 11 - Brown Invitational - 10:00 a.m. - Providence, R.I.
Saturday, April 11 - George Mason Invitational - 10:00 a.m. - Fairfax, Va.
Saturday, April 18 - Yale Open - 10:00 a.m. - New Haven, Conn.
Tuesday, April 21 - vs. New Hampshire, Holy Cross, Worcester St. - 2:30 p.m. - Worcester, Mass.
Friday-Saturday, April 24/25 - Penn Relays - 9:00 a.m. - Philadelphia, Pa.
Sunday, April 26 - Brown Open - 9:00 a.m. - Providence, R.I.
Saturday/Sunday, May 2/3 - Atlantic 10 Championship - 9:00 a.m. - Fairfax, Va.
Thursday-Saturday, May 7-9 - New England Championship - 10:00 a.m. - Cambridge, Mass.
Friday-Sunday, May 15-17 - ICAAAA Championship - 10:00 a.m. - Princeton, N.J.
Things to Remember from 2014 Outdoor Season
- The Rams won their second consecutive A-10 Outdoor Championship and third in four years. Head coach John Copeland was named A-10 Coach of the Year.
- Strawderman won the pole vault, Mahlik Handley won the hammer throw, and Nick Danner won the javelin.
- Danner won the javelin throw at the UConn Invitational and earned Atlantic 10 Rookie of the Week honors in his first collegiate competition. He won the same award weeks later after winning the javelin at the AIC Yellow Jacket Invitational.
- The team won the Minutemen Invitational. Jalen Young won the 400m dash, Jack Kahrs won the high jump, Strawderman won the pole vault, and the 4x100m relay team was also victorious.
- Handley earned Co-Rookie of the Week honors from the Atlantic 10 for his efforts at the UConn Classic.
- Young won the 100m dash and 200m dash at the Holy Cross quad-meet. Strawderman won the pole vault and Handley won the hammer throw.
- Jalen Evans won the 100m dash at the Brown Open.
- Strawderman won Atlantic 10 Performer of the Week for his wins at Brown and Holy Cross.
- The team finished second in the New England Championship. Kebba Nasso won the 400m dash.
- Tyler Oliveira was named to the Atlantic 10 Academic All-Conference team.
- Young, Strawderman, Handley, and Danner all competed at the NCAA East Preliminaries.
- Handley placed fourth in the hammer throw at the USA Track & Field Junior Outdoor Championships. Danner placed sixth in the javelin.