Atlantic 10 Conference Men's Outdoor Track and Field Championship
Irwin Belk Track & Field Center | Charlotte, N.C
Setting the Scene
Rhode Island captured the 2013 Atlantic 10 Men's Outdoor Track & Field Championship on Sunday. Rhody was led by first-place finishes from Mark Castilletti, Tyler Oliveira and Trent Baltzell. Castilletti won both the 110m hurdles (14.15) and the 400m hurdles (53.44). Crossing the line in 21.08, Oliveira was victorious in the 200m dash, while Baltzell won the decathlon with 7,015 points, which set a new school record in the event.
With its 198 points, Rhody won its ninth A-10 title, and second in three years. Charlotte placed second with 175 points. Butler (70), Temple (67) and VCU (63) rounded out the top five.
Head coach John Copeland also earned Atlantic 10 Coach of the Year for the seventh time in outdoor track & field.
Rhode Island Results
- The team of Victor Boonham, Tyler Oliveira, Nicholas Guscott and Jalen Young ran to a second-place finish in the 4x100m relay (40.68). The team broke the school record of 40.82 set in 2007.
- Sophomore Jalen Young and junior Anthony Davidson finished back-to-back in the 400m dash, taking second and third, respectively. Young finished in 47.17 and Davidson finished in 47.54. The duo also scored in the 200m dash, with Young in fifth (21.69) and Davidson in eighth (55.40).
- Boonham finished third in the 400m hurdles (54.52).
- In the 100m dash, Oliveira finished second (10.61) and Guscott finished fourth (10.72).
- Senior Andrew Piscitelli threw a distance of 53'1.5 in the shot put to finish third. Sophomore Sam Snyder came in fourth (51'11) and senior Thaddeus Kusiak finished eighth (46'5.25).
- In the triple jump, Ronald Woodley's leap of 47'5.25 earned him fourth place.
- Senior Shaikat Bardhan finished third in the 110m hurdles with a time of 14.59.
- In addition to Baltzell's victory in the decathlon, Michael DiMambro finished second (6,596) and freshman John Pangborn placed sixth, scoring 5,582 points.
- Freshman Zach Campo placed sixth in the 800m run (1:54.22).
- The team of Corey Coogan, Marcos Rodriguez, John DiGangi and Kevin Lochard finished seventh in the 4x800m relay (7:43.16).
The Rams will compete at the IC4A Championship held Friday, May 11 through Sunday, May 12 in Princeton, N.J. IC4A's will start at 1 p.m. on Friday, 9 a.m. on Saturday and 9 a.m. on Sunday.