Atlantic 10 Conference Men's Outdoor Track and Field Championship
Irwin Belk Track & Field Center | Charlotte, N.C
Setting the Scene
Rhode Island senior William Janes, junior Jordan Burandt and sophomore Jonathan Stevens won individual Atlantic 10 titles on the first day of the conference championship. Janes threw a distance of 192'8 to take the hammer throw crown. Burandt reached a height of 15'9 in the pole vault to finish at the top and Stevens won the javelin with a throw of 203'8.
As a team Rhode Island leads the field after the first day of competition at the 2013 Atlantic 10 Men's Outdoor Track and Field Championship. The Rams scored 73 points to position themselves ahead of Charlotte (61). Temple (31), St. Joseph's (22) and VCU (22) round out the top five.
Rhode Island Results
- Senior Thaddeus Kusiak finished second in the hammer throw (185'5) and freshman Alex Briggs contributed two team points with a seventh place finish (160'7).
- Junior Trent Baltzell finished second in the javelin (198'2) and combined with Stevens to score 18 team points.
- Sophomore Sam Snyder finished second in the discus (171'2) and senior Andrew Piscitelli finished third (165'3). Kusiak scored a team point with his eighth place finish (145'4).
- Seniors Andrew Reigstad and Rainford Thomas finished sixth and seventh, respectively, in the high jump. Both competitors reached a height of 6'4.25.
- Freshmand Benjamin Ezike finished sixth in the long jump (23'2) and Reigstad finished in seventh (23'0.75).
- After Day One of the decathlon, sophomore Michael DiMambro sits in first place with 3594 points. Teammate Trent Baltzell is right behind him in second place (3593) and freshman John Pangborn is in sixth place (2960). DiMambro won the 100m dash (11.06), 400m dash (51.63) and the long jump (6.64m). Baltzell won the high jump (6'9.75) and the shot put (41'11.25).
- The 110m hurdles, discus, pole vault, javelin and 1500 run will be held in the final day of the decathlon.
- Junior Mark Castilletti was the top qualifier in the 110m hurdles (14.29). Senior Shaikat Bardhan also qualified in the sixth spot (14.88).
- Two Rams qualified in the 400m dash with sophomore Jalen Young (47.95) and junior Anthony Davidson (48.00 finishing in the second and third, respectively.
- Sophomore Tyler Oliveira qualified for the 100m finals finishing in the third spot (10.70). Senior Nicholas Guscott also qualified, finishing in fifth place (10.67).
- Zach Campo grabbed the last qualifying spot in the 800m run (1:52.32).
- Castilletti and junior Victor Boonham finished third (53.50) and fourth (53.56), respectively, in the 400m hurdles to qualify for finals tomorrow.
- Oliveira finished second in the 200m dash (20.95), Davidson finished third (21.37) and Young placed fifth (21.45) to qualify.
The A-10 Championship concludes Sunday at the Irwin Belk Track & Field Center, starting at 8:45 a.m.