Atlantic 10 Conference Men's Indoor Track and Field Championships
Mackal Fieldhouse | Kingston, R.I.
Sunday, Feb. 17, 2013
Setting the Scene
Rhode Island placed second in the 2013 Atlantic 10 Men's Indoor Track and Field Championship, finishing behind only Charlotte. The 49ers had 190.5 team points to end Rhody's two-year run as the conference champions. Charlotte and the Rams (166) both placed well ahead of the rest of the field. St. Joseph's (78), Butler (68) and La Salle (60) rounded out the top five.
Rhode Island Results
- Anthony Davidson defended his title in the 500-meter dash (video), edging Fordham's Sean Atkinson by .09 seconds. Davidson scored 10 team points with the victory, while freshman Zach Campo added four points with his fifth-place finish.
- Davidson also led the Rhody contingent that took three of the top four spots in the 200m dash. Davidson was second, just .09 seconds behind Charlotte's Anthony Bynum. Sophomores Jalen Young and Tyler Oliveira placed third and fourth, respectively.
- There was a surprise in the heptathlon, as a Rhode Island competitor won the event, but it wasn't Andrew Reigstad, who had a commanding lead over the field through four events. Trent Baltzell won the conference crown (video) by scoring 2208 points over the final three events, holding off Fordham's Sam Houston. Baltzell's victory meant 10 team points for the Rams. Freshman John Pangborn placed fifth, scoring four team points. Reigstad – who won three of the first four events - was injured during the 60m hurdles and had to withdraw from the competition.
- Baltzell and senior Rainford Thomas added seven team points in the high jump. Thomas placed fifth, while Baltzell was right behind in sixth place.
- In the shot put, Rhode Island got team points from Andrew Piscitelli, Sam Snyder and Thaddeus Kusiak. Piscitelli and Snyder placed fourth and fifth, while Kusiak took seventh place.
- Sophomore Jalen Young took second place in the 400m, scoring eight team points. Young ran a time of 49.26, behind only Christopher Tate of Charlotte, who finished in 48.79 seconds.
- The Rams took second place in the 4x400 relay, as the team of Tyler Oliveira, Jose Ortiz, Wayne Seaton and Andrew Sakovits ran a time of 3:19.35, just .54 seconds behind the winning team from Fordham.
- Rhode Island's depth was evident in the 60m hurdles, as the Rams took three of the top four spots to score 19 team points. Junior Mark Castilletti placed second in 8.08 seconds. Seniors Wayne Seaton and Shaikat Bardhan were third and fourth, respectively.
- A trio of Rams placed in the 60m dash. Tyler Oliveira, Ronald Woodley and Michael DiMambro took fifth, sixth and seventh to add a combined nine points to Rhody's team score.
- The quartet of Marcos Rodriguez, John DiGangi, Corey Coogan and Zach Campo scored four points by placing fifth in the 4x800 relay.
- Ronald Woodley and Ben Ezike placed fourth and eighth, respectively, in the triple jump. Their performance netted six team points.
The Rams move on to the New England Championship next weekend. New England's will be held in Boston Friday, Feb. 22 and Saturday, Feb. 23.