Atlantic 10 Conference Men's Indoor Track and Field Championships
Mackal Fieldhouse | Kingston, R.I.
Friday, Feb. 17, 2012
Setting the Scene
Rhode Island jumped out to a sizeable lead in the team competition after Day One of the A-10 championships finished. With 52.5 points, the Rams were ahead of the field, followed by Charlotte (34), Xavier (31) and La Salle (17).
Rhode Island Results
- Junior Thaddeus Kusiak led a strong Rhode Island contingent in the weight throw. Kusiak won the title with a throw of 19.15 meters, edging classmate William Janes, who placed second with a toss of 18.69m. Andrew Piscitelli took fourth for the Rams with a distance of 17.33.
- Junior Jonathan Bartlett gave Rhode Island it's second individual title of the day when he won the pole vault. The top five finishers all cleared 14'9, but Bartlett won on attempts. Rhode Island's James Strawderman placed fourth in the event.
- Junior Ronald Woodley was second in the long jump. His leap of 7.13m trailed only Charlotte's Jake Wainwright.
They Said It
Weight Throw Champion Thaddeus Kusiak (video):
"I'm just pretty happy that we got the job done. I got first, Will (Janes) got second and Andrew (Piscitelli) got fourth. We got our seeds, so that is pretty much all that matters for the A-10 meet."
Pole Vault Champion Jonathan Bartlett (video):
"Everybody had an off day actually. We were hoping the competition would be at 15'9 instead of 15'3, but it was still a lot of fun and I am really happy that I pulled it off. It was luck, really."
- Freshman Michael DiMambro is in strong contention for the heptathlon title after four events. He trails Charlotte's Jake Wainwright by just 29 points (2973-2944) with the 60m hurdles, pole vault and 1000m run remaining. DiMambro won the 60m dash, was second in the long jump and third in both the shot put and the high jump.
- Several Rams advanced to finals in individual events for Saturday. Those still in contention are:
Young and sophomore Mark Castilletti in the 400m.
Davidson in the 500m.
Freshman Marcos Rodriguez in the 800.
Senior Nate Wigton and junior Chris Coogan in the 1,000m.
The A-10 Championships conclude Saturday in Mackal Fieldhouse, starting at 9 a.m.