RHODE ISLAND (6-3-2, 3-1-0 A-10)
Starters: Schmidt (GK), Karterud, Kristiansen, Middrup, Benco, Zarokostas, Kolakofsky, Tamburini, Booth, Maddox, Akselsen
Substitutes: Read, Gesmundo, Kawale
LA SALLE (6-5-1, 2-2-0 A-10)
Starters: Werner (GK), Gamiz Quer, McGovern, Cotterell, McCarthy, Sedin, Hollinger, Sweeney, Deceninco, Buckley, Bateman
Substitutes: Weir, Gutekunst, O'Brien, Puchol, Morris, Mora (GK), Collins
10:27 - URI - Kolakofsky (Zarokostas, Tamburini)
60:19 - LAS - Sedin (McCarthy)
61:16 - URI - Kolakofsky (Akselsin)
88:25 - URI - Akselsen (Kolakofsky)
88:59 - LAS - Gamiz Quer (Cotterell)
How it Happened
Senior Noam Kolakofsky scored twice and assisted on a third goal to lead Rhode Island to its sixth win in eight matches, as the Rams knocked off La Salle, 2-1, Wednesday night.
Rhode Island took the lead early, as Kolakofsky tallied his second goal of the season in the 11th minute. The goal followed a quick flurry of action inside the 6-yard box with assists being credited to Stavros Zarokostas and Filippo Tamburini.
La Salle evened the score in the second half, when Isak Sedin scored off a set-up from Pat McCarthy in the 61st minute. The Rams responded immediately however, as Kolakofsky netted his second goal of the night just 57 seconds later. Taking a cross into the box from Edvin Akselsen, Kolakofsky finished at the far post to get Rhody back in front.
Akselsen padded the lead for Rhode Island when he scored in the 89th minute to make it 3-1. La Salle made things interesting with a goal of its own just 34 seconds later from Franc Gamiz Quer, but time ran out before the Explorers could mount a serious threat to the outcome.
Inside the Box Score
- Rhode Island is 6-1-1 over its last eight matches.
- Senior Noam Kolakofsky has been very efficient on offense for Rhode Island. He has scored three times on 13 total shots. Of those 13 shots, eight have been on target.
- Kolakofsky now has three goals and three assists in seven matches played.
- Rhode Island's defense allowed just two shots on goal, both of which came in the second half. La Salle managed goals on both of those attempts.
- The Ram defense has tightened up significantly as the season has moved along. After allowing seven goals and 33 shots on goal over the first four matches, Rhody's defense has allowed eight goals and 31 shots on goal in the last seven matches.
- Redshirt sophomore Edvin Akselsen picked up his team-leading eighth assist of the season. He also leads the Atlantic 10 in the category.
- Over his last two matches, Akselsen has two goals and four assists. Wednesday marked the third time in four matches he has had at least one goal and one assist.
- The assist for senior Stavros Zarokostas was his fourth of the season, which ranks second on the team. He now has 10 points on the season (3 goals, 4 assists), marking his fourth straight season with double-digit points for the Rams.
- Junior Filippo Tamburini recorded his second assist in as many games and now has three on the season. He has recorded either a goal or an assist in six of URI's last seven games.
- The win was Rhode Island's first over La Salle at home since 2007.
Rhode Island heads to Philadelphia this weekend for a match at Saint Joseph's. The Rams and Hawks play Saturday, Oct. 12 at. 7 p.m.