RHODE ISLAND (6-2-0, 0-1-0 A-10)
Starters: Penske (GK), Karterud, Kristiansen, Middrup, Benco, Zarokostas, Richter, Dickson, Brangman, Daley, Akselsen
Substitutes: Drayer, Cook, Jesman Sunde
#25 FORDHAM (5-1-2, 1-0-0 A-10)
Starters: Nuhu (GK), Ingimarsson, Zuccala, Oland, Kagramanyan, Fathazada, Pieles, Loebe, Dziedzic, Slums, Miller
8:01 - FOR - Fathazada (Loebe)
15:53 - URI - Zarokostas (Richter)
42:20 - FOR - Loebe (Kagramanyan)
46:11 - URI - Richter (Kristiansen)
66:49 - FOR - Fathazada (Loebe, Dziedzic)
81:04 - FOR - Oland (Loebe)
How it Happened
Fordham got the scoring started just eight minutes in when Sameer Fathazada buried a rebound off a Janos Loebe free kick. Loebe's initial shot from 20 yards out was stopped by URI goalkeeper Roger Penske, but Fathazada came crashing through the box and drilled the loose ball into the back of the net for the 1-0 advantage.
Rhode Island evened the score in the 16th minute as Stavros Zarokostas headed a Dominik Richter corner kick into the upper right 90 to make it a 1-1 game. Fordham pulled back ahead right before the break however, as Loebe scored on a through ball by Kagramanyan to put the Bronx Rams back on top 2-1.
Richter knotted things back up at 2-2 just 1:11 into the second half, receiving a pass from Peder Kristiansen and shaking off a pair of defenders before firing a shot into the upper left corner. Fathazada scored what proved to be the game-winner in the 67th minute though, netting a back pass from Loebe to put the home team back in front 3-2.
Edvin Akselsen nearly tied the score once again in the 69th minute when he appeared to have Fordham's Rashid Nuhu beat at a tight angle, but Joergen Oland flew into the goal and deflected the Akselsen's shot out over the crossbar to preserve the lead.
The home team then added an insurance goal at the 81:04 mark, as Oland headed in a Loebe corner kick to seal the 4-2 victory.
Inside the Box Score
- Senior Dominik Richter recorded a goal and assist for the Rams. He currently leads the team with 11 points (3g/5a) through the first eight games of the season.
- Junior Stavros Zarokostas netted his third goal of the season. He now has 43 career points (17g/9a) in 44 games played.
- Junior Peder Kristiansen picked up his second assist of the season and 13th of his career.
- Freshman Roger Penske took the loss for Rhody, allowing four goals with three saves on the night.
- Fordham's Rashid Nuhu finished with seven saves and two goals against.
- Janos Loebe factored into all four Fordham goals, scoring once and adding three assists.
- Sameer Fathazada also had a multi-point night as he netted a pair of goals for Fordham.
- Rhode Island held an 8-7 edge in corner kicks and had a 10-7 advantage in shots on goal.
Rhode Island is back in action on Wednesday night against Saint Louis. Game time at the URI Soccer Complex is set for 7 p.m.