Posted: Sep 04, 2018
- Rhode Island (3-0-0) returns to the URI Soccer Complex to host Holy Cross Wednesday night.
- Their last time out, the Rams posted a 1-0 shutout victory over visiting Penn State.
- Prior to that, URI picked up back-to-back road wins at Boston University (2-0) and Bryant (4-0).
- The last time URI opened the season with three consecutive shutouts was in 1995. That season, the Rams downed Canisius (4-0), Rider (3-0) and Maine (2-0) to get off to a 3-0 start.
- Through three games this season, six different Rams have scored goals and four different players have picked up assists.
- Senior Dominik Richter leads the team with five points on one goal and three assists.
- Junior Stavros Zarokostas is just behind him with four points on a pair of goals.
- Grad student Tyler Dickson, junior Ludvik Benco, junior Simon Trcka and freshman Johnny Sherman also have found the back of the net for the Rams.
- Freshman Roger Penske has collected Atlantic 10 Rookie of the Week honors in back-to-back weeks to open the season. The Rhody rookie is the lone goalkeeper it the A-10 that has yet to concede a goal so far this season.
The Holy Cross Series
- Rhode Island leads: 12-2-0
- Last meeting: The Rams defeated the Crusaders (2-0) on Oct. 10, 2017, in Worcester, Mass.
- Current Streak: Rhode Island, one win.
- Holy Cross' last win: September 15, 2012 (2-1) in Worcester, Mass.
- Of Note: URI has won 11 of the last 12 meetings between the teams, dating back to 1968.
Scouting the Crusaders
- Holy Cross comes to Kingston looking for its first win of the season.
- The Crusaders opened the season with a 2-1 loss to Fordham and later tied Siena 1-1.
- Holy Cross has out-shot its opponents 33-23 so far this season.
- The Crusaders also have combined for a 16-5 advantage in corner kicks.
- Mason Brummett and Owen Azrak each have scored a goal while Max Krause has the team's lone assist.
- Henry Stutz has played all 200:00 between the posts for Holy Cross, making 10 saves and allowing three goals.