Aug 30, 2018
- Rhode Island (2-0-0) returns to the URI Soccer Complex for its home opener, Friday night against Penn State.
- The Rams have played their first two games of the season on the road, picking up wins at both Boston University (2-0) and Bryant (4-0).
- The win over the Bulldogs marked just the second time in program history that Rhody opened a season with back-to-back wins on the road. The Rams first did it in 2016 with victories over Providence (2-1) and St. Francis Brooklyn (1-0).
- The last time URI opened the season with back-to-back shutouts was in 2000 when the Rams defeated Siena (2-0) and Providence (1-0).
- Through two games this season, five different Rams have scored goals and four different players have picked up assists.
- Senior Dominik Richter (1g/2a) and junior Stavros Zarokostas (2g) are tied for the team lead with four points apiece.
- Junior Ludvik Benco, junior Simon Trcka and freshman Johnny Sherman also have found the back of the net for the Rams.
- Freshman Roger Penske is the reigning Atlantic 10 Rookie of the Week. The freshman goalkeeper has yet to concede a goal this season, combining for six saves in a pair of shutout victories.
- Rhode Island is 31-9-2 all-time in home openers.
The Rhody/Penn State Series
- Penn State leads: 6-1-0
- First Meeting: 1978; Penn State won 2-0.
- Last Meeting: 1990; PSU defeated URI, 2-1 (OT), in Kingston, R.I.
- Current Streak: Penn State, five wins.
- Rhode Island's last win: September 17, 1979 (3-2) in Kingston.
- Of Note: Rhode Island is 4-22-4 all time against current members of the Big Ten Conference. URI's victories have come against Penn State (1979), Ohio State (1982) and Rutgers (1986, 1982). The Rams last faced a Big Ten team in 2012 when they fell to Northwestern 3-2.
Scouting the Nittany Lions
- Penn State comes to Kingston with a 1-1-0 record which includes a 2-1 overtime loss to UCF and a 1-0 win over Bowling Green.
- Jeremy Rafanello and Ethan Beckford each have scored once for the Nittany Lions.
- Ryan Gallagher has the team's lone assist.
- Josh Levine has played all 191:33 between the posts. He is 1-1-0 with 11 saves and a 0.94 gals against average.
- PSU has been outshot 34-12 so far this season.
- Similarly, the Penn State's opponents hold a 26-13 advantage in corner kicks.
- The Nittany Lions were picked to finish sixth in the Big Ten Preseason Poll.
- Ethan Beckford, Brennan Ireland and Aaron Molloy were named to the conference's 27-man Preseason All-Conference team.