Sept. 27, 2011
Hartford Hawk Invitational - Sept. 26-27
Setting the Scene:
Course: Sept. 26 (36 holes), Bulls Ridge Golf Club (par 72/6,992 yards); Sept. 27 (18 holes)
The field: 17 teams, 90 total golfers
Rhode Island's Individual Results:
* Branden Chicorka had his finest tournament as a Rhode Island golfer, tying for second place overall with a 54-hole score of 213 (-3). The junior was in a four-way playoff for individual medalist, which started on the 10th hole.
He opened the tournament with a 1-over 73, following it up with a 1-under 71 over the second round. He carded his low round of the season - and his URI career - with a 3-under 69 during Tuesday's final round.
* Jared Adams tied for 19th place overall, with a aggregate score of 223. He opened play with a 74 (+2), followed by a second round 75. The newcomer closed out his final 18 holes with another 74.
* Michael Hamilton competed in his first tournament of the season for Rhode Island and tied for 36th place overall. The graduate student from Lincoln, R.I. opened with a 77 before shooting his low score of the competition - a 1-over par 73 - during the second round. He finished with a total score of 227 (77-73-77).
Rhode Island Team Results:
* The Rams finished 6th overall in the team standings, with a total score of 890. URI improved its team scoring by 12 strokes between the first and second rounds. After opening with a 302, Rhody registered a team score of 290 (+2) during the second 18 holes of play. The Rams closed with a 298 during Tuesday's final round.
* Connecticut captured the team title after posting a score of 868 (294-286-288). The Huskies' Jeb Buchanan (74-70-69=213) won a four-way playoff over Chicorka, Josh Salah of Sacred Heart, and Loyola's Jay Mulieri.
Rhode Island returns to action on Oct. 1-2 at the McDonald Cup, held at the Yale Golf Club in New Haven, Conn.