Sept. 19, 2011
18th Annual Adams Cup of Newport - End of Day One (Rounds 1-2) Results
Setting the Scene:
Course: Newport National Golf Club (par 72/7,244 yards)
Weather: Mostly cloudy, 65 degrees, wind - calm The field: 19 teams, 95 total golfers
* Georgia - the defending national champions - had the two lowest rounds of the day. During the morning session, Nick Reach fired an 5-under par 67. Teammate Bryden Macpherson bested him by one stroke, with a second round 66. Macpherson is tied atop the individual leaderboard, while the Bulldogs posted a stellar 275 second round team score, giving them the team lead through 36 holes.
* UCF, the defending Adams Cup team champion, posted an aggregate score of 279 during the afternoon session, and sit three shots back of Georgia. Ricardo Gouveia followed up his first round 70 (-2) with a second round 68 (-4) and is tied with UGA's Macpherson for the individual medalist race.
* Ten golfers broke par during the morning round at Newport National. The second round saw twice as many, including 10 golfers who broke the 70 mark.
* Texas Tech and Yale are tied for third place (579), while Hartford sits in fifth place (583).
* Ben Taylor of Nova Southeastern, one of the top teams at the Division II shot 69 and 70, respectively, on the day and is tied with Georgia's Nick Reach for third place heading into Tuesday's final round.
Rhode Island's Individual Results:
* Sophomore Jared Adams fired the low-round of the day for Rhode Island, a second round, 1-over 73. He sits in a tie for 41st place overall, after an opening round 77.
* Andrew Fiorenzano is one stroke back of Adams, tied for 46th place. The Jamestown, R.I. native opened with a 76 and shot a second round 75 (151).
* Taylor Fontaine posted a pair of 76's and is a shot behind Fiorenzano with a total of 151. He is tied for 52nd.
* Newcomer Matt Montt and Branden Chicorka are tied for 71st place. Montt, in his first action for the Rams, shot a 2-over opening round of 74. Chicorka bounced back in the afternoon session with a 75..
The Adams Cup of Newport is a two-day, 54-hole tournament held on Sept. 19-20. The first two rounds of play were held on Sept. 19 at Newport National Golf Club, while the final 18 holes will be played at Carnegie Abbey Club on Sept. 20.
Full results will be available on GoRhody.com.