Posted: Sep 21, 2019
- Hanover Country Club - Hanover N.H.
- Par 71 course (6,472 yards)
- First Round: Saturday, Sept. 21
- Second Round: Sunday, Sept. 22
- The Field: 12 teams, 75 golfers
- Rhode Island sits in first place after one round of play, with a team-score of 5-under (279).
- The Rams are two strokes ahead of second-place Drexel (-3).
- Dartmouth (-1), Bucknell (-1) are the only other teams below par after the opening round.
- Rhody's Atlantic 10 rivals Saint Joseph's (+1) and Fordham (+15) enter the final round in fifth and 12th place, respectively.
- Three Rhody golfers - junior Chris Francoeur, freshman Bryson Richards and redshirt sophomore Brandon Gillis - are in the top-15 after Round 1.
- Francoeur is third on the leaderboard at -4. He birdied the fifth and 14th holes, carded an eagle on the par-5 18th and was even on everything else to end the first round in 67 strokes.
- Richards recorded a 2-under 69 and led the Rams in first-round birdies, with five. He is tied for seventh overall.
- Gillis is in a five-way tie for 13th place. He was 2-over throughout 13 holes but birdied three of the last five holes to get to 1-under (70).
- Sophomore Austin Fox finished the first round in 73 strokes (+2) to tie for 36th overall.
- Junior Jordan Brajcich went +3 on the front nine and +2 on the back nine to finish the day tied for 57th at 5-over (76).
- Playing as an individual, redshirt senior Jason Short carded an opening-round 78 (+7), which has him in a tie for 66th place.
Head Coach Gregg Burke's Take
- As awkward as this is to say, 5-under is the worst we could have scored today. The guys played so hard and so tough. We played the par fives poorly and had two swings on other holes cost us four shots.
- This team can be special because it truly is a team and these guys believe in each other.
- Tomorrow's final round has nothing to do with the other great teams in the tournament and everything to do with how well we play.
Rhode Island returns to Hanover Country Club to close out competition on Sunday morning.