Posted: Sep 14, 2019
- Bethpage Red Course - Farmingdale, N.Y.
- Par 70 course (7,092 yards)
- First & Second Round: Saturday, Sept. 14
- Third Round: Sunday, Sept. 15
- The Field: 14 teams, 78 golfers
- After two round of play, Rhode Island sits in second place at 1-over par (274-287=561).
- The Rams are one stroke behind overall leader Navy and four strokes ahead of third-place Yale.
- The only other Atlantic 10 team competing in the tournament is La Salle, which finished the first day of competition 36-over.
- Junior Chris Francoeur leads the field through two rounds of play at 5-under (67-68). He is the only player among the field of 78 to card back-to-back sub-70 rounds.
- Francoeur was one of just seven players to record an eagle on the day, carding a 3 on the par-5 fifth hole his second time through.
- Freshman Bryson Richards is tied for fifth overall, having opened with a 67 before shooting a 72 in the afternoon round. Overall, his combined score of 139 has him at 1-under par.
- Junior Brandon Gillis will enter the final round of play in a tie for 17th place at 3-over (72-71=143).
- Redshirt senior Jason Short was even (70) after the first round, but went 6-over the second time through to tie for 29th at 146.
- Junior Jordan Brajcich enters the third round of the tournament tied for 43rd place at 148. He opened with an even 70, but went +8 in the afternoon round.
Head Coach Gregg Burke's Take
- As well as we played in the morning, we played that poorly in the afternoon. So, to be within one of the lead, and having been 8-under at one point in the first round, shows we can win this if we just take care of business. Obviously Chris is playing at a very high level.
- Bryson has bounced back from the pressure of playing his first tournament when we had only four players.
- I was really happy with Brandon who scratched, clawed and grinded his way to 3-over for the day. He did not hot hit it very well but he would not give up on this team.
- We need all five guys at even par or red tomorrow.
Rhode Island returns to Bethpage Red to close out competition on Sunday morning.