Posted: Apr 26, 2019
- Grand Cypress Golf Club - Orlando, Fla.
- Par 72 (7,024 yards)
- First Round: Friday, April 26
- Second Round: Saturday, April 27
- Third Round: Sunday, April 28
- The Field: 11 teams, 55 golfers
- Rhode Island finished the first round of the Atlantic 10 Championship in seventh place.
- The Rams combined to shoot 19-over (307) through the first 18 holes.
- Davidson leads the field after Day One putting up a team score of 297 (+9).
- Also ahead of Rhody is VCU (+10), Saint Joseph's (+10), George Washington (+13), St. Bonaventure (+14) and Dayton (+17).
- URI will enter Saturday's round one stroke ahead of eighth-place George Mason (308).
- Senior Dawson Jones and sophomore Chris Francoeur finished Round 1 tied for 14th overall at +3 (75).
- Jones birdied the first hole, and was +1 through 14 before carding a seven on the par-5 15th hole to finish the day 3-over.
- Francoeur was 1-over on the front nine and birdied the 11th to get back to even. However, he went +3 through the final seven holes finish with a first-round 75.
- Redshirt senior Brody King birdied three holes - the first, fifth and 14th - but was 5-over for the day, tying him for 22nd place.
- Redshirt junior Jason Short shot 4-over on the front nine and 4-over on the back nine to tie for 39th overall with a first-round 80 (+8).
- Freshman Austin Fox matched King with a team-high three birdies, and was tied with Jones and Francoeur at +1 through the first nine holes. However he went +8 on the back nine to finish the day in a three-way tie for 42nd place.
Head Coach Gregg Burke's Take
- We played very, very well for a long time today.
- We didn't play a hole before the weather delay, so after being on site for almost three and a half hours, we finally hit our first shot.
- Dawson walked off the 18th hole almost 10 hours after we got there. That's a long day.
- We are literally in the same position we were a year ago. I expect a nice round for us tomorrow.
The Rams return to Grand Cypress Golf Club for Round Two action, Saturday morning.