Posted: Oct 10, 2017
- Ellington Ridge Country Club - Ellington, Conn.
- Par 72 course (6,936 yards)
- First & Second Rounds: Monday, Oct. 9
- Third Round: Tuesday, Oct. 10
- The Field: 15 teams, 90 golfers
- Weather: 75 degrees, sunny
- Rhode Island took third place among the field of 15, combining for a three-round score of 877 (+13).
- The Rams opened with a 291, carded a 298 in the second round and closed with their best round of the tournament - a 288.
- Tournament host UConn claimed the team title, finishing even at 864.
- Seven strokes ahead of URI, in second place, was Cornell (870).
- Hartford (880) and Siena (882) rounded out the top-5.
- Junior Dawson Jones took second place overall, finishing 2-under par (214). He opened with a 73, carded a 72 in the second round, and closed with a 3-under 69. He finished one stroke behind the individual medalist, Mike Graboyes of Cornell (71-75-67=213)
- Freshman Chris Francoeur tied for 24th place, sandwiching a 75 between a pair of 73s for a +5 finish (221).
- Freshman Bobby Weise and sophomore Burke Barsamian tied for 30th overall, finishing with a +7 223. Weise went 73-76-74 while Barsamian parred the first and third rounds, but shot a 79 the second time through.
- Redshirt junior Brody King finished in a tie for 65th place, combining for a +14 230 (79-75-76).
Head Coach Gregg Burke's Take
- This is the easiest course we will play all year so we were hoping for better scores.
- We showed signs of improvement today, which is what we are looking for at this point. Once again though, we were not paying attention to details during the week and during the tournament. That has to change.
- Dawson scored better, so we're hoping that gets him going.
- Burke continues to give us good rounds.
- The freshmen both flashed signs of terrific golf but got tired, which is exactly what you expect at this stage of the season. We will change that in the weight room beginning in eight days.
- The Rams return to action next Monday at the Georgetown Intercollegiate.