Posted: Sep 10, 2017
- Bethpage Red Course - Farmingdale, N.Y.
- Par 70 course (7,092 yards)
- First & Second Round: Saturday, Sept. 9
- Third Round: Sunday, Sept. 10
- The Field: 14 teams, 78 golfers
- Weather: 76 degrees, sunny, 10 mph winds
- Freshman Bobby Weise was the top Rhode Island finisher, tying for 22nd place overall. He carded a pair of 1-over par 71's during the second and third rounds, totaling 215 (73-71-71, +5). He posted 17 pars and just one bogey during the final round. After Saturday's 36 holes of play, the Freehold, N.J native was tied for 28th place.
- Sopomore Burke Barsamian also had his best round of the tournament during Sunday's final round, matching Weise's 1-over par 71. He posted three birdies and 11 pars on the day. For the tournament, the sophomore tied for 41st place overall, with a total score of 219 (75-73-71), improving by two strokes in each round.
- Junior Dawson Jones tied for 43rd place overall, shooting a final round 73. After a rocky 1st hole, the junior played even-par over his next 17 holes on Sunday. Jones' 54-hole score was 220, after carding a 73 during Saturday's opening round and a 74 during the second round.
- Freshman Chris Francoeur tied his teammate Jones for 43rd place. The Amesbury, Mass. native opened his first collegiate tournament with a pair of 1-over 71's on his scorecard during Saturday's first two rounds of competition. He finished with a final round 78.
- Redshirt sophomore Jason Short finished tied for 70th place. His best round of the weekend came during Saturday's second round, when he shot a 74. Short posted a three-round total score of 228 (77-74-77).
Head Coach Gregg Burke's Take
- Once again, Bobby Weise played the way we knew he could. What I liked best is that he played three full rounds of terrific golf.
- We came into this tournament with two objectives: hoping the freshmen played well - which they did - and to see who deserves to be in the starting lineup.
- Burke Barsamian clearly made a statement about his desire and worthiness to be in the lineup.
- While the final score indicates we finished in a position we're not accustomed to, Eric Marchetti and I learned a great deal about the team. We'll shuffle the lineup a bit and give it a go at Hartford before we consider any changes.
Rhody heads to the Bull's Bridge Golf Club in South Kent, Conn. on Sept. 18-19 for the Hartford Hawks Invitational.