Century Intercollegiate – Final Results
Setting the Scene:
Course: Century Country Club – Purchase, N.Y. (par 71/6,809 yards)
The field: eight teams
Weather: low 60s, moderate wind
Rhode Island's Individual Results:
* Branden Chicorka fired an even-par 71 during Sunday's second and final round, pacing him to the individual victory, besting Dartmouth's Peter Williamson – the nation's top ranked golfer according to Golfstat.com. It was his first victory of the spring season and second overall win of the 2011-12 season (Hartford Hawks Invite).
Chicorka finished with a 1-under 143. The junior from Enfield, Conn. and reigning A-10 Golfer of the Week opened the tournament with a 1-over par 72 on Saturday.
* Taylor Fontaine played one of his best tournaments of the season, posting a 3-over total of 147, tying for third place. Fontaine opened with a 74 on Saturday before helping seal the Rhody team victory on Sunday with a 2-over 73.
* Andrew Fiorenzano was the third Rhody golfer, tying for ninth place overall. Fiorenzanp combined to shoot 153 over the two-day, 36-hole competition. The sophomore carded an opening round 74 (+3) on Saturday before closing play with a 79.
* Jared Adams combined to shoot a two-day total of 159, tying for 25th place overall. He shot a 76 in the first round and closed out play with an 83 on Sunday.
* Jeffrey Ray rounded out the Rhody golfers, with a score of 161 (80-81) - tying him for 31st place overall.
Rhode Island Team Results:
* The Rams took the team title with a combined score of 600. Rhody fired its lowest round of the season on Saturday, with a 296. URI took home the title with a 304 on Sunday, besting runner-up Harvard by six strokes.
* Princeton, Dartmouth, host Yale, Brown, Cornell, and Temple rounded out the field.
"To win a tournament as prestigious as The Century means a great deal to our program. To do so in a field with so many great teams, in terrible weather conditions, is testament to months of hard work in the weight room and on the range.
Watching Branden beat a true champion - and the East's best player in Pete Williamson - was a treat and has established Branden as one of eastern college golf's premier player."
-- Head Coach Gregg Burke
Rhode Island travels to Coral Springs, Fla.. and the Herron Bay Golf Club for the 2012 Atlantic 10 Championship from April 27-29.