Rhody Invitational – First Day Results
Setting the Scene:
Course: Green Valley C.C. – Portsmouth, R.I. (par 71/6,830 yards)
The field: 7 teams, 47 total golfers
Weather: low 60s, gusty winds as the day went on
Rhode Island's Individual Results:
* Branden Chicorka sits in a tie for seventh place. He opened strong, carding a 35 on the front nine, before finishing with a 76.
* For the tournament, the field averaged a 41.7 on the back nine as the weather shifted in the afternoon.
* Fontaine was even on the front nine (35), before finishing with a 42 on the windy back nine. Fennelly went out in 37 and closed in 40 in his first action of the spring season.
* Jared Adams is tied for 20th place overall, He shot a 39 on the front before closing out the day's action with a 40 on the back.
* Andrew Fiorenzano is tied for 30th place, with a score of 82 (39-43).
* Several Rhody golfers are competing as individuals this weekend. Jeffrey Ray is tied for seventh place, with a 76. Ray blazed the lowest front nine score of tournament, with a 2-under 33.
* Michael Hamilton's score of 77 puts him in a tie for 12th place overall. He shot a 37 on the front nine.
* Sacred Heart's Josh Salah leads after the first round of competition, with an even-par 71. Fordham's Pat Herlihy and Colgate's Will Delano are tied for second, with a 1-over 73.
Rhode Island Team Results:
* The Rams sit in third place after Saturday's opening round, compiling a team score of 309.
* Fordham is on top of the team leaderboard, with a score of 304. Sacred Heart is one stroke back, with a score of 305. Colgate is fourth, with 312. The top four schools are separated by just eight strokes.
Rhode Island finishes up play on April 15 in the final day of action at the Rhody Invitational at the Green Valley G.C. in Portsmouth, R.I.