How It Happened
Rhode Island's offense scored touchdowns on four consecutive red zone possessions to end the first scrimmage of Spring Camp Saturday morning.
The defense had the edge early in the scrimmage, forcing three three-and-outs and an interception in the first four possessions of the day. However, it was the offensive finding the end zone on the final four series.
Redshirt freshman Jakari Grant opened the red zone period with a 14-yard touchdown pass to Marven Beauvais on third-and-12. On the next possession, it was Prince Asiedu-Johnson punching the ball in from the 1-yard line for a score.
Redshirt sophomore Vito Priore – who tossed two touchdown passes on the day – hit tight end Tyler Burke from 9-yards out for the third score. Finally, JaJuan Lawson capped the scrimmage by connecting with Aaron Parker on an 8-yard touchdown pass.
Inside the Box Score
- Junior cornerback Malik Wilder was impressive in his first scrimmage with the Rams. The transfer from Nassau Community College broke up three passes, blocked an extra point and had two tackles.
- Redshirt junior Momodou Mbye had the lone turnover of the day getting an interception early in the scrimmage.
- Reshirt sophomore Kwadir Brown blocked a punt and had three tackles.
- Junior defensive end L.B. Mack III had six tackles, 3.5 tackles for loss and 2.0 sacks.
- Junior defensive tackle Brandon Ginnetti had six tackles, 1.5 tackles for loss and one sack.
- Senior linebacker Justin Hogan had six tackles, while redshirt freshman defensive end Tyler Wipper had five stops.
- Junior cornerback Rashod Dickerson had three tackles and one pass breakup.
- Sophomore C.J. Carrick had a strong day kicking, making 4-of-5 field goal attempts. He hit from distances of 37, 45, 31 and 37 yards. His lone miss was from 40 yards out.
- Sophomore Prince Asiedu-Johnson impressed out of the backfield, averaging 5.8 yards on nine carries, including his touchdown plunge. He also caught one pass for 17 yards.
- Senior wideout Khayri Denny had a team-best five catches for 78 yards. Senior tight end Tyler Burke added four catches for 65 yards and a touchdown.
- Sophomore punter Satchel Denton averaged 47.8 yards on five punts, while redshirt junior Anthony Garro averaged 39.0 yards on two attempts.
- Senior JaJuan Lawson was 7-for-17 for 99 yards and one touchdown, while classmate Tyler Harris was 6-for-12 for 65 yards. Redshirt sophomore Vito Priore passed for 75 yards and two touchdowns, while redshirt freshman Jakari Grant threw for 55 yards and one score.
Rhode Island plans to scrimmage again next Saturday as the team builds up to the annual Blue-White Game on April 28 in Meade Stadium.