Posted: Jan 10, 2020
- Saturday will be the 16th meeting between Rhode Island and VCU, with the Rams holding an 8-7 edge.
- Rhody has won six of the last seven contests in the series, including two of three games last season.
- The last time the team met was in the 2019 Atlantic 10 Championship quarterfinals, where eighth-seeded URI pulled off the upset, beating top-seeded VCU, 75-70. Jeff Dowtin had 22 points, Tyrese Martin added 13 and Rhode Island was 18-for-21 at the free throw line in the last game.
- VCU defeated URI the last time the Rams, 76-42, when the teams played at the Siegel Center last season.
- Both teams enter the game looking for a first victory in Atlantic 10 play. Rhode Island lost at home to Richmond, 69-61, on Sunday. Davidson fell at Duquesne, 71-64 the same day.
RAMS BACK ON CBS SPORTS NETWORK SATURDAY
- Wednesday's game will be broadcast to a national audience by CBS Sports Network.
- Tom McCarthy will handle the play-by-play, while Mike O'Donnell will join him as the color analyst.
RUSSELL SECOND IN ATLANTIC 10 IN SCORING, CLOSING IN ON 1,000 POINTS
- Junior Fatts Russell ranks second in the Atlantic 10 in scoring at 19.4 points per game, good for 38th nationally. Only Dayton's Obi Toppin (19.5 points per game) ranks higher than him among conference players.
- Russell enters the weekend needing 38 points to reach 1,000 for his career.
- Russell has a team-high 12 double-digit scoring games, including nine 20-point outings. He has topped 25 points four times this season, including a season-high 32 points at West Virginia on Dec. 1.
- The 32 points at West Virginia were the second most in Russell's career. He had a 41-point game at Saint Joseph's last season, the most ever by a Ram in a road contest.
- Russell has 19 career games with at least 20 points.
- Rhode Island is 15-4 when Russell scores at least 20 points, including a 6-3 mark this season.
RAMS FIND STROKE IN CRUNCH TIME
- When the game is on the line in the final five minutes, Rhode Island is outshooting its opponents in all phases of the game.
- Rhody shoots .486 from the floor in the final five minutes of games, compared to .407 by the opposition.
- The advantage is more pronounnced from beyond the arc, thanks to URI's perimeter defense.
- While opponents shoot just .232 (13-of-56) from 3-point range, while Rhode Island is making .378 (14-of-37) from deep down the stretch.
- Overall, Rhode Island shoots just .309 from 3-point range.
- Junior Fatts Russell is exceptional at the free throw line with the game on the line, making 25-of-27 in the final five minutes of action.