North Texas (2-3) vs Rhode Island (3-1)
Tip-Off: Friday, Nov. 22, 4:35 p.m. EST
LSU (3-1) vs Rhode Island (3-1)
Tip-Off: Sunday, Nov. 24, 2:35 p.m. EST
Live Coverage: Live Stats | Audio: North Texas
Audio: LSU | TV: CBSSN | Game Notes
RHODE ISLAND AT THE JAMAICA CLASSIC
- Rhode Island is competing in Jamaica for the first time in program history.
- Friday's game will be the first meeting between Rhode Island and North Texas.
- Sunday will mark the second meeting between Rhode Island and LSU.
- The Rams are 1-0 against the Tigers, with the lone meeting coming on Jan. 4, 2014.
- Rhode Island won that contest, 74-70 behind E.C. Matthews' 21-point effort. Gilvydas Biruta had 19 and Xavier Munford added 17 in the game.
- In URI's first game of the Jersey Mike's Jamaica Classic, it defeated Nicholls 70-65 on Tuesday night.
- Junior Fatts Russell led the Rams to victory, scoring 24 points to go with six assists and five steals. Senior Cyril Langevine had a double-double with 10 points and 11 rebounds, while sophomore Jermaine Harris was the third Rhode Island player in double figures, scoring 10 points.
GAMES TO BE CARRIED ON CBSSN
- All games at the Jamaica Classic are behing carried by CBSSN.
- Bill Roth is handling the play-by-play, while Steve Wolf will be the color analyst.
- On Saturday, players from each of the schools at the Jamaica Classic will participate in a clinic for youths from Jamaica. More than 125 children from all over the island will come to the Montego Bay Convention Center to partcipate in the clinic.
- Steve McDonald and Don Kaull will have the radio call on 920 WHJJ AM, due to a scheduling conflict on B101. The game also can be heard on the TuneIn app.
RHODE ISLAND AGAINST CONFERENCE USA
- Friday's game against North Texas is one of three Rhode Island will play against Conference USA teams this season. In addition to playing the Mean Green, URI hosts Western Kentucky on Dec. 21 and travel to Middle Tennessee on Dec. 29.
- David Cox is 2-0 against Conference USA teams, collecting victories over Charlotte and Middle Tennessee in his first year.
- The Rams are 15-15 all time against schools currently in Conference USA.
RHODE ISLAND AGAINST THE SEC
- Sunday's game against LSU will be Rhode Island's second against an SEC school this season.
- On Nov. 15, the Rams knocked off Alabama, 93-79, at the Ryan Center in Kingston, R.I.
- URI is 8-12 all time against schools currently in the SEC.
- When Alabama visited, it was the first time any SEC school had visited the Rams in Kingston.
- Before beating Alabama earlier this season, the last time Rhode Island defeated an SEC school came in the 2013-14 season, when it won on the road at LSU, 74-70.
- The Rams scored wins over SEC schools in back-to-back seasons. In 2012-13, Rhode Island won in double overtime at Auburn, 78-72, behind 33 points from Munford.
- Rhode Island has never defeated two SEC schools in the same season.
- Rhode Island can claim victories over Auburn, LSU, Tennessee, South Carolina and Vanderbilt.
RHODE ISLAND GETTING IT DONE AT THE FREE THROW LINE
- With Fatts Russell leading the way in both free throw attempts and free throws made (20-for-22/90.9 percent), Rhode Island has been strong at the line as a team through four games.
- Collectively, the Rams are shooting .744 from the free throw line, which ranks 72nd in the country.
- This is a significant improvement from the team's work a year ago. Rhode Island shot .680 in 2018-19, which ranked 272nd in the country.
- In the team's three victories, Rhode Island has shot 53-of-66 at the free throw line (.803).
- Over the last two games, the Rams are 40-for-49 at the line, making 21-of-26 Alabama (.808) and 19-of-23 against Nicholls (.826).
- Last season, the Rams shot 80.0 percent or better from the line six times, including four games in which the team had 20+ attempts.
- In the opener, URI was 13-for-17 against LIU (.765).
TATE GIVING RAMS QUALITY MINUTES
- Sophomore Dana Tate is playing starter's minutes while coming off the bench for Rhode Island.
- Tate is averaging 21.8 minutes per game, serving as a classic glue guy on the floor.
- Tate averages 5.0 points, 3.0 rebounds and 1.5 assists per game while playing both on the wing and in the paint, depending on matchup situations.
- He played a key role in Rhode Island's victory over Alabama, scoring nine points, grabbing three rebounds, dishing out two assists and getting a steal that led to a fast-break dunk.
- For the season, he has a +/- of +3.71 per 40 minutes, which ranks second on the team behind only fellow sophomore Tyrese Martin (+8.67).