Posted: Nov 04, 2019
- Tuesday will be the first meeting between Rhode Island and the new-look LIU program.
- LIU is in its first season of competition since LIU Brooklyn and LIU Post merged into one team.
- The Rams played Long Island in 1944, losing 99-68.
- LIU is the favorite to win the Northeast Conference this season. Redshirt senior Raiquan Clark was a unanimous pick for the league's preseason all-conference team.
- Rhode Island is looking to win its season opener for the seventh consecutive season. The last time the Rams dropped their first game was in the 2012-13 season, when they fell to Norfolk State, 67-55.
- LIU head coach Derek Kellogg is in his third season at the helm. A familiar face to Atlantic 10 fans, Kellogg was the head coach at Massachusetts for nine seasons from 2008-17.
COX/YURVIEW TO CARRY GAME
- The season opener will be broadcast on Cox/YurView and streamed via ESPN+.
- GoRhody.com's Stone Freeman will handle the play-by-play call.
- Steve McDonald and Don Kaull will be back as the Rhode Island radio team on B101.
DOWTIN APPROACHING 400 CAREER ASSISTS
- Senior Jeff Dowtin enters the 2019-20 season with 380 career assists.
- He needs 20 more to become just the sixth player in Rhode Island history to reach 400.
- Closest on the list is Dowtin's former teammate, Jarvis Garrett, who ranks sixth with 398 assists (2014-18).
- Besides being a strong distributor, Dowtin proved last season he can shoulder a heavy scoring load. He led the team in scoring (15.3 points per game) and scored his 1,000th career point in the team's final game of the year.
- With 120 assists this season - a number he has topped each of the last two years - Dowtin would join Tyson Wheeler and Carlton "Silk" Owens as the only players in program history with 1,000 points and 500 assists.
- Wheeler had 1,918 points and 712 assists from 1994-98, while Owens scored 2,114 points and dished out 502 assists from 1984-88.
- In his career, Dowtin has 15 games in which he played 30+ minutes without committing a turnover.
- During his first two seasons from 2016-17 through 2017-18, Dowtin was the only Division I player with 250+ assists and fewer than 65 turnovers.
- Rhody is 28-6 when Dowtin has five or more assists.
- Dowtin has seven career games with nine or more assists.
- Rhody is 6-1 when Dowtin has nine or more assists. The lone loss was to Duke in the 2018 NCAA Championship.
LANGEVINE 15th NATIONALLY IN DOUBLE-DOUBLES
- Senior Cyril Langevine tied for 15th nationally in 2018-19 with 17 double-doubles on the season.
- The 17 double-doubles for Langevine were the most by a URI player since Lamar Odom had 19 in 1998-99.
- Langevine finished the season with 328 rebounds, the fifth most in a single season in program history.
- It was the most rebounds by a Rhode Island player since Art Stephenson set the URI single-season record with 420 in 1966-67.
- The last Rhode Island player with 300 rebounds in one season was Lamar Odom, who had 302 in 1998-99.
- Langevine has 10+ rebounds 18 times last season.
- For his career, Langevine has 23 double-doubles.
- He led the Atlantic 10 and was ninth in the country with 9.9 rebounds per game.
- He was 18th nationally with 3.36 offensive boards per game.