Russell, Martin, Dowtin, Harris, Langevine
Jacobs, Darby, Batista, Vezele, Deng
How It Happened
Rhode Island handled its preseason exhibition with ease, earning a 93-55 victory over Rhode Island College at the Ryan Center on Saturday night.
The Rams trailed just once in the game. After a made 3-pointer from RIC's Shion Darby with 16:33 left in the first half, the Rams responded with a 13-2 run behind impressive efforts from Fatts Russell and Jermaine Harris. Harris and Russell combined for eight of Rhody's 13 points in that stretch.
Rhody used a 21-4 run over the final 7:13 of the first half to separate themselves from the Anchormen and went into the locker room up 52-23.
It was all Rhody in the second half. The Rams outscored the Anchormen 41-32 en route to their 93-55 victory.
Inside the Box Score
- Junior Fatts Russell had a full stat sheet, finishing with 17 points, nine rebounds and seven assists.
- Sophomore Tyrese Martin finished with a game-high 22 points on 9-of-13 shooting and eight rebounds.
- Senior Jeff Dowtin added 13 points and seven rebounds.
- Senior Cyril Langevine shot 50 percent from the field (5-of-10) and had 10 points, six rebounds and three assists.
- Sophomore Jermaine Harris had nine points, including 5-of-6 from the free throw line.
- Freshmen Mekhi Long, Gregory Hammond, and Jacob Toppin and junior D.J. Johnson all saw playing time in the exhibition.
- The Rams owned the paint, outscoring the Anchormen 58-20.
- Rhody's defense held RIC to just 27.9 percent from the field.
- URI held the advantage in bench points (22-7), fastbreak points (31-7), and points off turnovers (18-7).
- The Rams also dominated the boards, grabbing 62 rebounds to RIC's 39.
The Rams officially begin the 2019-20 season on Tuesday, Nov. 5 at the Ryan Center vs. LIU. Gametime is set for 7 p.m.