Mar 13, 2019
RHODE ISLAND VS. LA SALLE - SERIES NOTES
- Thursday's game will be the 39th meeting all time in the series, with Rhode Island holding a 29-9 edge.
- The team's met once during the regular season, with Rhode Island winning 78-67 on the road Jan. 19.
- Jeff Dowtin had 22 points and Fatts Russell added 20 in the win. Cyril Langevine added 19 points and 14 rebounds.
- Rhode Island enters the Atlantic 10 Championship on a four-game winning streak, its longest of the season.
- Rhode Island and La Salle have met three times previously in the Atlantic 10 Championship, with the Rams winning all three games.
- The last time the teams played in the conference tournament was March 10, 2004 in an 81-69 victory for Rhode Island.
- Rhody also beat La Salle during the 1999 A-10 tournament (83-68) and the 1996 tournament (85-59).
- After the Rams defeated La Salle in the 1999 tournament, it went on to win the first conference tournament in program history, as Lamar Odom led Rhode Island to the title.
- The winner of Thursday's game will face top-seeded VCU in the quarterfinals on Friday. That game will tip off at noon.
GAME TO BE BROADCAST ON NBCSN FOR TELEVISION, 920 AM WHJJ FOR RADIO
- Thursday's game will be televised on NBCSN.
- Todd Harris will handle the play-by-play, and Tim McCormick will be the color analyst. David Kaplan will be the sideline reporter.
- Due to the noon tipoff, Steve McDonald and Don Kaull's radio broadcast for the game will be on 920 AM WHJJ.
RHODE ISLAND AT THE ATLANTIC 10 CHAMPIONSHIP
- Rhode Island is 27-34 all time at the Atlantic 10 Championship
- The Rams have won the tournament twice, the most recent time coming in 2017, when Rhody defeated VCU 70-63 in the championship game.
- The first tournament title for URI came in 1999, when Lamar Odom's 30-foot shot at the buzzer lifted the Rams to a 62-59 victory over Temple.
- Rhody has reached the championship finals in each of the last two seasons. After winning the title in 2017, the Rams were defeated in the finals last season by Davidson, 58-57.
- Rhode Island has reached the semifinals of the A-10 tournament 14 times, going 6-8 in the round.
- The Rams are 2-4 all-time in the A-10 finals.
- Since 2014, Rhode Island is 6-4 in the conference tournament. All four of the losses have been by five points or less.