Harris, Russell, Martin, Langevine, Dowtin
Jenkins, Santos-Silva, Vann, Evans, Mobley
How It Happened
VCU established an early advantage and never let up, defeating Rhode Island, 76-42 Tuesday night.
Rhode Island (12-13, 5-8 Atlantic 10) led 6-5 early, but VCU then steadily built its lead. The hosts went up by double digits on an Issac Vann basket that made the score 28-17. VCU pushed the lead to as many as 20 points before a Jeff Dowtin 3-pointer at the buzzer sent the teams into the locker rooms with VCU ahead, 39-22.
VCU (20-6, 11-2 A-10) hurt Rhody from the 3-point arc in the first half, hitting 6-of-12 from deep. VCU came into the game shooting just .301 from beyond the arc on the season, but De'Riante Jenkins, Marcus Evans, Sean Mobley and Vince Williams all connected in the first 20 minutes.
The second half began with a 9-1 run for VCU, as Rhode Island missed its first six field goal attempts. Dowtin broke the skid with a 3-pointer 5:04 into the period, but the deficit was 24 points by that time. VCU maintained its lead through the final buzzer, winning its seventh straight game.
Inside the Box Score
- Junior Jeff Dowtin had 14 points and four assists to lead Rhode Island.
- Junior Cyril Langevine had 10 points and 10 rebounds. It was his fourth straight double-double and 14th of the season.
- Freshman Jermaine Harris added 11 points, five rebounds, two blocked shots and two steals.
- Rhode Island turned the ball over 10 times in each half. The season-high 20 turnovers led to a 21-4 advantage in points off turnovers for VCU.
- VCU was 11-for-27 (41.0 percent) from the 3-point arc.
Rhode Island returns to the Ryan Center to host Davidson on Friday, Feb. 22 at 9 p.m. The game will be carried by ESPN2.