How It Happened
Rhode Island dropped its third straight game, falling to Fordham 66-63 in overtime Saturday afternoon.
Rhody (12-12, 5-7 Atlantic had a four-point lead with 1:09 remaining in regulation after a pair of free throws by Fatts Russell. However, Fordham (11-14, 2-10 A-10) managed to force overtime when Jesse Bunting hit a layup and Antwon Portley made two free throws of his own in the final minute.
In overtime, Fordham scored the first four points of the period and Rhode Island never regained the lead. URI tied the game on a Cyril Langevine free throw with 1:13 to go, but Nick Honor put Fordham back up with a 3-pointer with 48 seconds on the clock.
Rhode Island had four 3-point attempts in the final 33 seconds, but it was unable to get the equalizer.
Inside the Box Score
- Rhode Island matched the program's single-game record for blocked shots, with 15 on the afternoon. Rhody also had 15 blocks in games against St. Bonaventure (Jan. 28, 2017) and La Salle (Jan. 22, 2015).
- Junior Cyril Langevine matched his career best with a game-high 18 rebounds. He also scored 14 points for his 13th double-double of the season.
- Langevine added four blocks, two steals and one assist in 43:32 on the floor.
- Freshman Tyrese Martin pulled down a career-best 12 rebounds, eight of which were on the offensive glass. He nearly double-doubled as he also registered nine points with one steal, one block and one assist.
- Sophomore Fatts Russell finished with 15 points, four rebounds and four assists.
- Redshirt junior Christion Thompson had eight points for the Rams, six of which came from the foul line.
- Thompson (3), junior Jeff Dowtin (2), freshman Dana Tate (2) and freshman Jermaine Harris (2) each blocked multiple shots for Rhode Island.
- URI had the advantage in blocks (15-4), rebounds (50-37) and bench scoring (14-3).
- The game featured 13 lead changes and 11 ties.
- Former Rhody greats Jared Terrell ('18) and Hassan Martin ('17) were in attendance. Terrell was presented with his 2018 Atlantic 10 Regular Season Championship ring during the second half.
- The overtime game was Rhode Island's first of the season. Fordham is now 1-1 in OT contests.
Rhode Island heads to VCU Tuesday, Feb. 19. Game time is 8 p.m.