Posted: Jan 08, 2019
- Wednesday's game will be the 25th match up between Rhode Island and Richmond.
- Richmond leads the series, 14-10.
- Rhode Island won last year's meeting, 85-67, at the Ryan Center. Fatts Russell had 14 points, four rebounds and three steals in the game. Cyril Langevine had 15 points and six rebounds, while Jeff Dowtin had 11 points, seven assists, five rebounds and four steals.
- The Rams have won four of the last five meetings. Richmond's lone win in that stretch was a 73-62 victory at the Robins Center on Jan. 25, 2017.
- Rhode Island is 2-9 all-time at Richmond. Its last road win in the series was a 78-74 contest on Jan. 13, 2011.
- URI is looking to avoid an 0-2 start in A-10 play for the first time since 2013-14, when they opened 0-3 in league.
FRESHMEN PLAY WELL TOGETHER
- For the first time this season, Rhode Island's four freshmen - Jermaine Harris, Tyrese Martin, Dana Tate and Omar Silverio - were on the floor at the same time during Sunday's game at Saint Louis.
- With the score tied 37-37 early in the second half, the quartet and junior Jeff Dowtin went on a 6-0 run to give the Rams their biggest lead of the game.
- Silverio, Martin and Tate each had baskets during the spurt, with Tate also providing the assist on Silverio's bucket.
- More impressive than the offensive work was the group's defensive effort. In 4:32 of playing time together, the four freshmen and Dowtin limited Saint Louis to just one free throw. The Billikens were 0-for-4 from the floor and committed three turnovers during the stretch.
- For the game, Rhode Island's freshmen scored 31 of the team's 53 points (58.5 percent).
- It is the second straight game in which the freshmen have combined for 31 points, as they had 31 of the 72 points against Middle Tennessee.
- In the first 11 games, the freshmen combined to average 14.8 points per game.
DOWTIN APPROACHING TOP 10 IN ASSISTS
- With six assists at Saint Louis, junior Jeff Dowtin now has 312 for his career.
- He needs 10 more to tie Preston Murphy (1995-99) for 10th place in program history.
- He had nine assists in the season opener against Bryant, his seventh career game with nine or more.
- Rhode Island is 6-1 when Dowtin has nine or more assists, with the lone loss coming to Duke in the Round of 32 at the NCAA Championship in 2018.
- During his career, Dowtin has recorded five or more assists 29 times, including four games this season.
- Rhode Island is 25-4 when he has at least five assists.