Harris, Russell, Langevine, Dowtin, Thompson
West Virginia Starters
Bolden, Harler, Harris, Ahmad, Routt
How it Happened
Rhode Island picked up its second-straight win of the season in a game that had a Ryan Center-like feel, downing West Virginia 83-70 in the Hall of Fame Holiday Showcase at the Mohegan Sun Arena Sunday afternoon.
Though the Rams (5-3) led for the majority of the game, the score was tight until the final minutes, when Rhode Island put the game away. West Virginia (6-4) got a free throw from Wesley Harris to make the score 63-62 Rhode Island with 8:21 to go. URI ended the game on a 20-8 run, taking command with a 6-0 spurt that featured dunks from Cyril Langevine and Jeff Dowtin, plus a Langevine jumper. Langevine - who was limited by foul trouble in the first half - scored eight points in the final 7:21 to help the Rams secure their best win of the season.
Inside the Box Score
- For the first time this season, the Rams had five players score 10 points or more. Jeff Dowtin (18), Fatts Russell (18), Cyril Langevine (15), Christion Thompson (12) and Jermaine Harris (11) were all in double figures.
- Junior Jeff Dowtin was named the MVP of the game by the Hall of Fame. He had 18 points, seven assists, five rebounds and one steal.
- Sophomore Fatts Russell also had 18 points to go with career-highs of six rebounds and five assists. He added three steals.
- Redshirt junior Christion Thompson led the team with a career-high eight rebounds and shot a career-best 6-of-8 from the charity stripe.
- Freshmen Jermaine Harris and Tyrese Martin each played 26 minutes, giving the Rams key minutes. While Harris had 11 points and three rebounds, Martin scored seven points, grabbed four rebounds and had two assists.
- The teams combined to attempt 70 free throws. West Virginia was 29-of-37, while Rhody was 20-of-33. Both sides were called for 28 personal fouls.
- The first half took one hour and 12 minutes to complete.
- West Virginia's bench outscored Rhody's 29-9.
- The Rams outscored the Mountaineers in the paint, 44-24.
The Rams will face Bucknell in the opening round of the 2018 Hawaiian Airlines Diamond Head Classic in Honolulu on Saturday, Dec. 22. Tip time is 10 p.m. EST at the Stan Sheriff Center.