Harris, Russell, Langevine, Dowtin, Thompson
Holy Cross Starters
Green, Grandison, Butler, Faw, Floyd
How It Happened
Rhode Island picked up its first road win of the season, beating Holy Cross, 79-63, at the DCU Center Saturday afternoon.
After a lot of back-and-forth action early, the Rams (4-3) used a late run just before halftime to open the biggest lead of the first period. Rhody scored the final 10 points of the half to take a 38-29 into the break.
The Rams scored the first nine points of the second half to open an 18-point lead, 47-29. Holy Cross (6-4) fought back and trimmed the deficit to two points on three different occasions, but Rhode Island never relinquished the lead. The Rams ended the game on a 20-6 run to put the game away.
Inside the Box Score
- Rhode Island shot a season-best 49.1 percent from the floor, including 23-for-35 (65.7 percent) on shots inside the arc.
- The Rams were also 24-of-27 at the free throw line, including 12-for-12 in the first half.
- Sophomore Fatts Russell tied for the team lead with 19 points. He added five rebounds.
- Junior Cyril Langevine got his sixth straight double-double, finishing with 19 points and 11 rebounds.
- Junior Jeff Dowtin had 18 points, four assists, four rebounds and two steals.
- Freshman Tyrese Martin contributed eight points for the second game in a row. He was 3-for-4 from the floor.
- Redshirt junior Christion Thompson filled the stat sheet. He scored five points, grabbed seven rebounds, blocked four shots and had two steals.
- Freshman Dana Tate provided four points, six rebounds and one assist.
- Rhody was unusually loose with the ball in the first half, committing a season-high 17 turnovers. Holy Cross scored 24 of its points off of turnovers.
- Rhode Island did not allow any second chance points. The Rams dominated the glass, 41-17. The 24-board edge was Rhody's largest of the season
Rhody is off for eight days until it plays a neutral site game against West Virginia at Mohegan Sun Sunday, Dec. 16. The game will be part of the Hall of Fame Holiday Showcase.