Feb 08, 2018
- Friday will be the ninth game all time between Rhode Island and Davidson.
- Rhode Island leads the series, 5-3 and has won each of the last three meetings.
- This will be Davidson's fourth visit to the Ryan Center. Rhode Island has won two of the previous three home games against the Wildcats, including a 73-70 thriller last season.
- The last meeting between the schools was in the Atlantic 10 Championship semifinals last season, when Rhody won 84-60. E.C. Matthews led the Rams with 19 points on 5-of-9 shooting from the floor. He was 4-for-4 from the 3-point arc and 5-for-5 from the charity stripe.
- Davidson comes into Friday on a three-game winning streak and is second in the conference standings.
- Peyton Aldridge is averaging 20.2 points and 6.9 rebounds per game for the Wildcats.
RAMS BACK ON ESPN2
- For the second straight game, Rhode Island will be on ESPN2 Friday night.
- This will will mark Rhody's sixth game on the ESPN family of networks this season.
- Mike Corey will handle the play-by-play and Mark Plansky will be the color analyst. The duo also did the game at VCU last week.
COACHES POWERING FORWARD FOR AUTISM
- Coaches from around the country will be raising money for autism through Coaches Powering Forward for Autism benefiting Autism Speaks.
- As part of the effort, coaches will be wearing the blue puzzle piece pin on their suit jackets during the games this weekend.
- This is part of college basketball's autism awareness weekend, an effort started by Towson head men's basketball coach Pat Skerry and USF assistant men's basketball coach Tom Herrion.
- It has since gone national with support from the NABC and Autism Speaks.
- For more information on the effort, visit https://www.autismspeaks.org/coaches.
GUARD DEPTH PAYING DIVIDENDS
- With just 241 turnovers, Rhode Island has committed the seventh fewest turnovers in the country.
- Rhody has turned it over 10 times or less in 10 games this season.
- The Rams are fourth in the country and lead the Atlantic 10 with a +5.7 turnover margin.
- On offense, the Rams are turning the ball over just 11.0 times per game, which is 22nd nationally.
- Rhody forces 16.68 turnovers per game, which leads the A-10 and ranks 14th nationally.
- Opponents have had 20 or more turnovers in six games, including twice in conference play.
RAMS ONE OF 11 TEAMS YET TO LOSE IN LEAGUE PLAY
- Rhode Island is one of 11 teams nationally that remains unbeaten in its respective conference.
- Virginia (ACC), Saint Mary's (West Coast) and East Tennessee State (Southern) are all 12-0.
- Rhody, Montana (Big Sky) and Cincinnati (American) are all 11-0, while Louisiana (Sun Belt) is 10-0.
- Vermont (America East) and Florida Gulf Coast (Atlantic Sun) are 9-0, New Mexico State (WAC) is 7-0 and Penn is 6-0 in the Ivy League.