Feb 01, 2018
- Friday will be the 11th game all time between Rhode Island and VCU.
- VCU leads the series, 6-4, but Rhode Island has won the last two meetings.
- The last meeting was in the 2017 Atlantic 10 Championship game, a 70-63 victory for Rhode Island. Jared Terrell led Rhode Island with 20 points, including 6-of-7 from the free throw line, junior E.C. Matthews scored 19 points and grabbed nine rebounds, just missing a double-double.
- VCU is averaging 77.5 points per game, making it the league's highest-scoring offense.
- Friday's game will feature two of the league's best ball distributors. VCU's Jonathan Williams leads the conference with 5.8 assists per game, while Rhode Island's Jeff Dowtin is second in the league with 5.6 per game. In A-10 play, Dowtin is averaging a league-high 7.0 assists per game. Williams is averaging 4.4 per game against A-10 teams.
ESPN2 TO CARRY FRIDAY'S GAME
- Friday night will mark Rhode Island's fifth game on the ESPN family of networks this season.
- Four of Rhody's final eight games of the regular season will be on ESPN2.
- Mike Corey will handle the play-by-play and Mark Plansky will be the color analyst.
RAMS ONE OF 13 TEAMS YET TO LOSE IN LEAGUE PLAY
- Rhode Island is one of 13 teams nationally that remains unbeaten in its respective conference.
- Purdue (Big Ten) is 11-0, while Virginia (ACC), Saint Mary's (West Coast), East Tennessee State (Southern) and Rhode Island were all 10-0 in league play as of Thursday morning.
- Montana (Big Sky), Louisiana (Sun Belt) and Cincinnati (American) are all 9-0 in their respective leagues.
- Vermont (America East) and Florida Gulf Coast (Atlantic Sun) are 8-0.
- New Mexico State (WAC) is 6-0 in its conference. The Ivy League still has two unbeatens in Harvard (4-0) and Penn (3-0).
GUARD DEPTH PAYING DIVIDENDS
- With just 232 turnovers through 21 games, Rhode Island has committed the 16th fewest turnovers in the country.
- Rhody has turned it over 10 times or less in nine games so far this season.
- The Rams are fourth in the country and lead the Atlantic 10 with a +5.8 turnover margin.
- On offense, the Rams are turning the ball over just 11.0 times per game, which is 22nd nationally.
- Rhody forces 16.81 turnovers per game, which leads the A-10 and ranks 16th nationally.
- Opponents have had 20 or more turnovers in six games, including twice in conference play.
- Over the last five games, Rhode Island has forced 94 turnovers.
BERRY FOURTH IN FIELD GOAL PERCENTAGE IN A-10
- Senior forward Andre Berry has emerged for Rhode Island this season, averaging a career-best 10.0 points and 4.1 rebounds per game while starting every game thus far. He matched his career best with 20 points at Fordham.
- He has scored 210 points and grabbed 86 rebounds this year. In his first two seasons combined, he had 73 points and 49 rebounds over 30 games.
- Berry is shooting .617 from the floor, which ranks fourth among all players in the Atlantic 10.
- He also is making 72 percent of his free throw attempts.