Jan 12, 2018
- Saturday will be the 67th game all time between Rhode Island and St. Bonaventure, with Rhody holding a 38-28 edge.
- Rhody has won two straight and four of the last five meetings, including a 74-63 victory in the Atlantic 10 Championship quarterfinals last season.
- E.C. Matthews led Rhode Island with 21 points in the last meeting. Stanford Robinson had nine points off the bench, including six straight points in the second half that put the game away for the Rams.
- Saturday is a matchup of the teams picked to finish first and second in the preseason conference coaches poll. St. Bonaventure was the only team other than Rhode Island to receive a first-place vote. The Bonnies received one vote.
- The game also will feature four of the most prolific scorers in the country. Rhode Island's E.C. Matthews and Jared Terrell and St. Bonaventure's Matt Mobley and Jaylen Adams all rank among the top 50 active scoring leaders in Division I college basketball. Matthews is 20th at 1,641 points. Mobley - who scored 737 points in two seasons at Central Connecticut before transferring to St. Bonaventure - is 22nd with 1,602 points. Adams is 24th at 1,562 points and Terrell is 45th with 1,450 points.
- Of the four, Terrell has the highest scoring average this season at 17.9 points per game, which is fifth in the A-10.
- Adams is the older brother of Rhode Island recruit Brendan Adams, who will join the Rams next season.
- In conference play, St. Bonaventure is scoring a league-best 81.2 points per game. Rhody is allowing 62.8 points per game, the third lowest points allowed. Rhode Island is fourth in the league with a 77.5 scoring average.
HURLEY LOOKING FOR 100th WIN WITH RHODE ISLAND
- Now in his sixth season at Rhode Island, head coach Dan Hurley has a record of 99-77 with the Rams.
- With his next victory, he will become the sixth coach to reach 100 victories at Rhode Island.
- Saturday is his 177th game with Rhody. A victory would make him the the second fastest coach in team history to reach 100 wins.
- The legendary Frank Keaney - who was inducted into the Basketball Hall of Fame in 1960 - got his 100th victory in 149 games. Keaney won 401 games in 28 seasons in Kingston. Jack Kraft needed 185 games to get to 100 wins.
- Other coaches to get to 100 victories at URI are Ernie Calverly (in 190 games), Jim Baron (in 196 games) and Al Skinner (in 202 games).
- Hurley needs four more victories this season to join Keaney, Calverly, Baron and Phil Wessels as the only coaches in program history to post four consecutive winning seasons.
- Keaney had 22 straight winning seasons, and a winning record in 25 of 26 years from 1923-24 through 1947-48. The lone exception was 1925-26, when he went 8-8.
- Since the start of the 2014-15 season, Hurley is 77-38, good for a .670 winning percentage.
RAMS RECEIVE VOTES IN TOP 25 POLLS
- Rhode Island is clearly on the national radar, receiving votes each week in both the Associated Press Top 25 poll and the USA Today Coaches poll.
- Rhody got seven votes in the latest Associated Press poll, good for 30th in the country.
- The Rams got six votes in the USA Today poll, putting them 35th there.
RAMS STREAKING AGAINST A-10 OPPONENTS
- With its win Tuesday at Saint Louis, Rhode Island has won 12 consecutive games against Atlantic 10 teams dating back to last season.
- It is the longest winning streak against conference opponents in program history.
- Rhode Island has won seven consecutive road conference games dating back to last year, also the longest such streak in team history.
- The team's last road loss came at Richmond last Jan. 25.
- Rhode Island is looking to open Atlantic 10 play 5-0 for the first time since the 1996-97 season. It would match the best start to conference play in program history.
HOME SWEET HOME
- Rhody has yet to lose in the Ryan Center this season.
- Over its last 25 home games, URI is 22-3, including 11 straight wins dating back to last year.
- The 11 straight wins matches the Ryan Center record set during the 2007-08.
- Since the 2014-15 season, the Rams are 49-9 when playing in Kingston. They are 26-2 in non-conference home games over the same stretch.