Matthews, Dowtin, Robinson, Terrell, Berry
George Mason Starters
Grayer, Livingston II, Kier, Mar, Calixte
How It Happened
A strong first half from Rhode Island (9-3, 1-0 Atlantic 10) earned the Rams a 83-64 victory over George Mason in the Atlantic 10 opener for both teams Saturday afternoon at the Ryan Center.
The Rams had built up a 16-4 lead by the 16:20 mark of the first half, following an Andre Berry layup. George Mason (6-8, 0-1 A-10) managed to cut the deficit to five points just minutes later, but an E.C. Matthews to Jared Terrell alley-oop with 7:43 to go in the half pushed the Rams to a comfortable 32-14 lead. Matthews, Terrell and Jeff Dowtin combined for 32 first half points to help Rhody take a 44-26 lead into the break.
Rhode Island didn't miss a beat behind a 39-point second half. A Jarvis Garrett jumper with 11:09 to go gave Rhode Island a 69-37 lead. A handful of George Mason baskets trimmed the lead slightly, but a monstrous Matthews dunk at the 5:40 mark put Rhode Island back up 80-55 and they never looked back en route to the win.
Inside the Box Score
- Senior Jared Terrell finished with 16 points, four assists and a season-high eight rebounds. He shot 6-for-12 from the field and 3-of-7 from 3-point range.
- Senior E.C. Matthews had 18 points on 6-for-10 shooting. He also added five rebounds in his 28 minutes of play.
- Sophomore Jeff Dowtin scored nine points to go along with eight assists and only one turnover. He now has one turnover or fewer in nine of his 12 games this season.
- Senior Stanford Robinson scored in double-figures for the fifth consecutive game with 10 points. He added five rebounds, four assists and two steals.
- Senior Andre Berry had 13 points in 17 minutes on 6-of-8 shooting. He also had four rebounds and a block.
- Senior Jarvis Garrett finished with eight points off the bench.
- Sophomore Cyril Langevine had six points off the bench, shooting 3-for-6 from the field. He also had 10 rebounds.
- Rhode Island's 32-point lead in the second half was its largest this season.
- The Rams made 10 3-pointers for the second straight game.
- Rhode Island registered 24 assists on 32 made field-goals. The 24 assists were a season high. It also was the most assists in a game for the team since the Rams had 24 against La Salle on Feb. 2, 2010.
- Rhode Island never surrendered the lead.
Stat of the Game
9 – Rhode Island's win tonight marks their ninth consecutive win against Atlantic 10 opponents.
Rhode Island continues Atlantic 10 play when they host La Salle on Wednesday night. Game time is 7:02 p.m.