Garrett, Dowtin, Terrell, Robinson, Berry
Lewis, McGill, Much, Crawford, Edogi
How It Happened
A 16-point second half performance from Jared Terrell helped lead Rhode Island (7-3) past Iona, 80-74, Thursday night.
With the Rams up 61-60 with 5:19 to go, the senior guard hit a mid-range jumper above the free throw line to push the lead three. On the ensuing possession, E.C. Matthews blocked a shot, which led to a Terrell fastbreak layup to extend the Ram lead to five. With 3:03 remaining, Terrell continued his dominant second half with another good jumper followed by a contested layup to give Rhode its largest lead of the half, 71-64.
Two free throws from Matthews pushed the Rhode Island advantage to 76-66 with 54 seconds remaining. Back-to-back layups for Iona (6-6) helped cut the lead deficit to four moments later, but two free throws by Terrell sealed the game and the Rhode Island victory.
Inside the Box Score
- Senior Jared Terrell registered a team-high 23 points along with four rebounds and three steals. He shot 8-of-17 from the floor and 2-for-5 from 3-point range.
- Redshirt senior Stanford Robinson posted his second consecutive double-double with 12 points and 10 rebounds.
- Sophomore guard Jeff Dowtin ended up with 11 points on 5-for-11 shooting along with six assists and five rebounds. Dowtin has two turnovers or less in all 10 games played this season.
- Senior forward Andre Berry scored an efficient eight points in just 10 minutes on 3-of-4 shooting. He also had three rebounds and converted both of his free throw attempts.
- Senior Jarvis Garrett scored seven points, corralled a season-high five rebounds and dished out three assists.
- Redshirt senior guard E.C. Matthews finished with six points in his second game back from injury. He finished 4-of-4 from the free line.
- Junior Nicola Akele had three offensive rebounds in 14 minutes off the bench. In nine games this season, he has a team-high 16 offensive boards.
- Rhode Island converted on 20 of their 28 free throw attempts.
- The victory was Rhode Island's first this season when the team trailed at halftime.
- The Rams forced 14 Iona turnovers. Rhode Island has now forced their opponents to commit 14 or more turnovers in eight of its 10 games.
- With the win, Rhode Island is now 25-2 in con-conference home games since the 2014-15 season.
Stat of the Game
18 - The Rams pulled in 18 offensive rebounds, tying a season high.
The Rams are back in action on Wednesday, Dec. 27 for the third game of a five-game home stretch when they welcome Florida Gulf Coast to the Ryan Center. Tip-off is set for 7:01 p.m.