Dec 20, 2017
- Thursday will be the 14th meeting all time between Rhode Island and Iona.
- URI leads the series, 10-3, and has won six of the last seven contests against the Gaels.
- The last time Iona visited the Ryan Center, Rhode Island won 79-74 in overtime behind a career-best 27 points from Hassan Martin. Current seniors Jared Terrell and Jarvis Garrett each had 12 points in the game.
- Iona and Rhode Island both have faced Holy Cross this season. Rhody defeated Holy Cross 88-66 on Nov. 19. Iona faced the Crusaders on Tuesday night and won 82-68.
- Iona was the preseason pick to win the MAAC, marking the second of three consecutive conference favorties Rhode Island is facing. The Rams defeated CAA favorite College of Charleston last time out. After the game against Iona, the Rams host Atlantic Sun favorite Florida Gulf Coast on Dec. 27. Rhode Island beat Big South favorite UNC Asheville in the season opener.
COX TO CARRY GAME ON YURVIEW
- Cox Communications will handle the broadcast production of Thursday night's game, which will air on Yurview.
- Cox YurView can be found on Ch. 1004 and 4 on Cox Cable.
- Other games that Cox has picked up for the remainder of the season are the home games against George Mason (Dec. 30), La Salle (Jan. 3) and Massachusetts (Jan. 17).
AKELE CRASHING THE BOARDS
- Junior Nicola Akele leads Rhode Island with 13 offensive rebounds, averaging 1.6 offensive boards per game.
- He is making the most of his time on the floor, grabbing his 24 rebounds in 90 minutes of action.
- Last time out against College of Charleston, Akele impacted the game significantly, logging a +5 plus-minus in 8:12 of action.
- Akela is shooting a very efficient .500 (14-for-28) from the floor.
HOME SWEET HOME
- Rhody has yet to lose in the Ryan Center this season, winning all five home games thus far.
- The Rams have been nearly unbeatable in non-conference home games since 2014-15, going 24-2 at the Ryan Center. The only non-conference home losses over that stretch were a 74-72 loss to Providence and a 58-55 defeat to Valparaiso, both in 2015-16. Both games were decided on the game's final possession.
- Over its last 21 home games, URI is 18-3, including seven straight wins dating back to last season.
EXPERIENCE TO LEAN ON
- Rhode Island's senior-laden backcourt is as experienced as any team in the country.
- E.C. Matthews, Jared Terrell, Jarvis Garrett and Stanford Robinson have combined to play 420 games in their careers.
- Terrell has appeared in 109 games and has averaged 31.1 minutes per game, while Robinson has played in 108 games, including 64 in two seasons at Indiana.
- Matthews has played 103 games, and Garrett has 100 contests under his belt.
- Sophomore Jeff Dowtin became a starter midway through last season and has started 28 straight games.
- Terrell leads the team in scoring with 17.2 points per game, while Matthews (10.7) and Robinson (10.0) are both averaging double digits. Garrett is scoring 8.6 per game, and Dowtin is just behind him at 7.9.