Rhode Island vs. Seton Hall - NIT Season Tip-Off - Barclay's Center
Tip-Off: Thursday, Nov. 23, 6:00 p.m. EST
Live Stats | Audio | Video | Game Notes
RHODE ISLAND VS. SETON HALL - SERIES NOTES
- Thursday will mark the eighth meeting all time between Rhode Island and Seton Hall.
- The Pirates lead the series, 7-1.
- Rhody's lone victory over the Pirates came on March 19, 2003, as the Rams took a 61-60 victory in the opening round of the postseason NIT.
- The first meeting ever between the schools came at the 1941 NIT, a 70-54 victory for Seton Hall. That game also was played in New York.
- Rhode Island head coach Dan Hurley was a 1,000-point scorer for Seton Hall, netting 1,070 points from from 1991-96. He played in 121 games for the Pirates and still ranks ninth in team history with 437 assists.
- During his career, Seton Hall won a pair of Big East titles and went to three consecutive NCAA tournaments, including a run to the 1991-92 Sweet 16.
- This will be the second time Hurley has coached against his alma mater.
GAME TO AIR ON ESPNU
- Both games this week will air on the ESPN family of networks, with Mike Crispino and LaPhonso Ellis on the call.
- The winner of Thursday's game will play the winner of the Vanderbilt-Virginia game being played Thursday at 4 p.m.
- The championship game of the NIT Season Tip-Off will be played Friday, Nov. 24 at 7:30 p.m. on ESPNU.
- The consolation game will air on ESPNEWS at 9:45 p.m. Friday.
ROBINSON STEALING THE SHOW
- Senior Stanford Robinson ranks second in the nation with an average of 4.33 steals per game.
- He had a career-high seven steals against UNC Asheville on Nov. 10, which tied Rhode Island's single-game record.
- The last player to have seven in one game for the Rams was Keith Cothran, who did so at Ohio on Dec. 27, 2006.
- Robinson had five steals against Holy Cross Sunday.
- With 13 total steals on the year, Robinson ranks eighth in the country.
- In 37 games with Rhode Island, Robinson has 52 steals. He had 35 steals in 64 games over two seasons with Indiana.
GARRETT CAN DISH IT OUT
- While he needs 214 more points to reach 1,000 points, senior Jarvis Garrett is ninth in team history with 329 assists.
- If he reaches 1,000 points, Garrett would become just the seventh player in team history to record 1,000 points and 300 assists.
- The others were Carlton "Silk" Owens (2,114 points/502 assists; 1984-88); Tyson Wheeler (1,918 points/712 assists; 1994-98); Tom Garrick (1,573 points/407 assists; 1984-88); Jiggy Williamson (1,531 points/346 assists; 1974-78); Stan Wright (1,346 points/333 assists; 1974-78); and Murphy (1,218 points/322 assists; 1995-99).
- Garrett needs 17 assists to move to sixth in team history.
- Just ahead of him on the all-time list are Parfait Bitee (331 from 2007-08), Stan Wright (1975-78) and Jiggy Williamson (346 from 1975-78).
DOWTIN 24TH IN ASSIST-TURNOVER RATIO
- Sophomore Jeff Dowtin ranks 24th in the country with an assist-to-turnover ratio of 6.33.
- He has committed just three turnovers in 93 minutes of play this season.
- Against Holy Cross on Sunday, Dowtin had a career-high nine assists while committing no turnovers in 34 minutes.
- Last yeay he led the Atlantic 10 in assist/turnover ratio in conference play, recording 55 assists to just 19 turnovers - a 3.24:1 ratio - over 18 games.
- Last season, Dowtin became the fourth player during the Dan Hurley era to earn a spot on the A-10 all-rookie team.
- The 6-3 point guard started the final 18 games of the season at point guard, averaging 5.5 points, 2.3 rebounds, 3.6 assists, and 1.0 steals during that span.