How It Happened
Playing in front of their home crowd for the first time since last year's NCAA Tournament run, the defending Atlantic 10 Champions defeated visiting Buffalo, 80-72, in overtime Saturday at The Ryan Center. The preseason exhibition served as a fundraiser game with all proceeds from the event benefitting the American Red Cross' Disaster Relief efforts.
The action was close throughout, with neither team leading my more than eight at any point in the game. With the score tied 20-20 late in the first half, a three ball by Fatts Russell sparked a 9-2 Rhody run that put the Rams on top 29-22 with 2:38 left in the period. Buffalo closed things out with a run of its own however, trimming URI's advantage to just two points (30-28) at the half.
A Jarvis Garrett jumper gave Rhode Island an eight-point advantage midway through the second frame as URI led 48-40. The Bulls charged back once again though, this time using a 16-6 push to take their first lead of the half (56-54) with 6:24 remaining in regulation.
After four more lead changes and three additional ties, a pair of free throws by Stanford Robinson put Rhody in front 66-63 with just over two minutes to go, but the Bulls quickly made it 66-65 on a Dontay Caruthers layup. Jeff Dowtin had a pair of steals in the final 90 seconds, but the Rams could not convert on either scoring opportunity. Jared Terrell then sunk a pair from the line to push the Rhody lead back to three (68-65) with 28 seconds left to play, but Buffalo's Jesse Reese drained one from behind the arc to even the score before the buzzer.
The Bulls grabbed the first points in overtime - on a jumper by Nick Perkins - but managed just one additional layup the rest of the way. Rhody held a 12-4 scoring advantage in the extra period, with half of those points coming from Terrell, who went 2-for-2 from long range.
Inside the Box Score
- Senior Jared Terrell led all players with a game-high 24 points, including three makes from long range and 11-of-15 from the free throw line. He also grabbed four rebounds and had three steals for the Rams.
- Sophomore Cyril Langevine finished with 17 points, eight rebounds and a pair of blocked shots. Six of his eight boards were on the offensive glass.
- Senior Jarvis Garrett was the third Ram to score in double figures as he recorded 12 points on the afternoon. The Rhody guard also dished out a game-high five assists and added five rebounds and one steal.
- Senior Stanford Robinson collected a game-best 12 rebounds, while chipping in seven points, two assists, two steals and one block.
- Freshman Fatts Russell and junior Ryan Preston each made their Rhode Island debut in the exhibition. Russell recorded nine points and a pair of steals in 20 minutes on the floor while Preston had four points, three rebounds and one blocked shots in eight minutes of action.
- As a team, Rhode Island connected on 24-of-33 (72.7%) free throw attempts. Buffalo struggled at the line, hitting just 13 of their 31 attempts (41.9%).
- The Bulls also committed 28 turnovers, which led directly to 21 Rhode Island points.
- The game featured 12 lead changes and 15 ties.
The Rams return to The Ryan Center for their official season opener versus UNC Asheville on Nov. 10.