Oct 26, 2017
- Rhode Island and Buffalo have met twice before during the regular season.
- The Bulls won the most recent meeting, 57-48 in 2002. Rhode Island won the first meeting the year before that, a 57-55 victory in 2001.
- Rhode Island finished last season 25-10 (13-5 A-10) in Dan Hurley's fifth season with the program.
- Rhode Island defeated VCU to win the A-10 Tournament and won their First Round game in the NCAA Tournament over Creighton before losing to Oregon in the second round.
- Buffalo head coach Nate Oats was the head coach for Rhode Island senior E.C. Matthews when Matthews played for Romulus High School in Michigan.
- The two won a state title during Matthews' senior season.
- Oats was named head coach of Buffalo in April of 2015 following two seasons as an assistant under Bobby Hurley, the younger brother of Rhode Island coach Dan Hurley.
SATURDAY'S GAME BENEFITTING RED CROSS DISASTER RELIEF
- Admission to Sday's charity exhibition game is free for all patrons, with a recommended donation of $10 for general public and $5 for URI students per person at the door.
- All proceeds will be donated to the American Red Cross Disaster Relief Fund.
- Rhode Island and Buffalo received an NCAA waiver to play the additional exhibition game as Buffalo already had the maximum number of preseason competition dates.
RHODE ISLAND PICKED TO REPEAT
- Defending Atlantic 10 champion Rhode Island was a near-unanimous pick to win the Atlantic 10, according to the 2017-18 Atlantic 10 Preseason poll.
- Rhode Island received all but one of the 28 first-place votes, finishing with 390 points.
- It marked the third straight year that the Rams have been picked second or higher in the poll.
- Senior guards E.C. Matthews and Jared Terrell were named to the preseason All-Atlantic 10 Team. Matthews was a first-team pick, while Terrell earned spots on the second team and all-defensive team.
- Matthews and Terrell have combined to score 2,701 points, the second most among active teammates in the country. Only the St. Bonaventure duo of Jaylen Adams and Matt Mobley (2,707) have combined for more.
- Matthews was the Most Outstanding Player of the 2017 Atlantic 10 Championship after averaging 19.3 points and 5.7 rebounds per game during Rhode Island's run to the tournament title.