Rhody Game Day Central
Gamenotes: vs. Davidson
TV: ASN (Gamefinder)
Local Clearance: NESN Plus
National Clearances: URI vs Davidson (pdf)
Radio: Rhody Sports Network (B101 - 101.5 FM)
Internet Audio: iHeartRadio.com
Internet Video: LiveOnASN.com
- Senior Day – A trio of Rhody seniors - Jerrell Coleman, Kuran Iverson, and Hassan Martin - will be honored in a pre-game ceremony.
- Fans are encouraged to arrive early and be in their seats by 5:40 pm for the Senior Day Ceremony.
- Family Four Pack – four tickets, popcorns and sodas for $75
- Rally Towel Giveaway - the first 3,500 fans will receive a free rally towel, courtesy of Cox
RHODE ISLAND VERSUS DAVIDSON
- Rhody and Davidson meet on the hardwood for the seventh time overall.
- The all-time series between the Rams and Wildcats is tied at 3-3.
- Earlier this season, Rhody earned a 70-59 decision at Belk Arena on Feb. 3, 2017.
- It was the first win over Davidson in A-10 play, having dropped two straight.
- Rhode Island won both games of a home/home series in 2009-10 and 2010-11.
- Davidson earned a 95-65 win on March 7, 1966 in NCAA Tournament play.
RHODE ISLAND IN THE ATLANTIC 10 CONFERENCE
- Since its inaugural season in 1980-81 in the Eastern 8, Rhode Island has posted a 274-324 all-time record in Atlantic 10 regular season conference play.
- Last year, the Rams were 9-9 and the #7 seed in the 2016 A-10 Championship.
- In 2014-15, Rhody posted a 13-5 Atlantic 10 record, tying for second place.
- The 13 A-10 wins were the second-highest total in school history (14 - 1987-88).
- Since 2014-15, Rhode Island is 34-19 (.642) in Atlantic 10 regular season games.
RHODE ISLAND AT THE ALEX AND ANI COURT AT THE THOMAS M. RYAN CENTER
- Rhode Island holds a 157-78 all-time and 70-52 in A-10 play at Ryan Center.
- URI has won at least 12 home games at the Ryan Center on seven occasions.
- The Rams are 88-26 overall in non-conference play (79-25 in the regular season).
- Rhody has won 19 of its last 21 and 28 of its last 32 home non-conference games.
- The inaugural Ryan Center win came on Nov. 26, 2002 (73-71 OT vs. USC).
- On Dec. 6, 2016 - a 51-39 victory over ODU - Rhode Island earned its 150th all-time win at the Thomas M. Ryan Center.
SENIOR NIGHT - HASSAN MARTIN, KURAN IVERSON, AND JERRELL COLEMAN TO BE HONORED PRE-GAME
- Prior to tonight's game, a trio of Rhode Island seniors - team manager Jerrell Coleman and forwards Hassan Martin and Kuran Iverson - will be honored as part of the annual Senior Day ceremonies.
RHODE ISLAND'S TOURNAMENT RESUME: A SNAPSHOT OF SOME OF THE KEY NUMBERS
- NCAA RPI: 44 | KenPom: 48 | KPI: 48 | ESPN BPI: 37 | Sagarin: 52 | Composite Average: 45.8
- RPI: Record vs. 1-50: 2-3 | vs. 51-100: 2-4 | vs. 101-150: 6-1 Ken Pom: Record vs. 1-50: 2-4 | vs. 51-100: 3-2
- URI's overall strength of schedule (SOS) ranks 51st nationally. The Rams' non-conference SOS is 20th.
- The Rams highest-rated win of the season: Cincinnati (RPI: 14 | KenPom: 21 | KPI: 18 | ESPN BPI: 17 | Sagarin: 19)
- Rhody owns another top 25 RPI win: VCU (RPI: 22 | KenPom: 21 | KPI: 26 | ESPN BPI: 38 | Sagarin: 48)
- URI's lowest-rated loss of the season: Fordham (RPI: 205 | KenPom: 191 | KPI: 201 | ESPN BPI: 207 | Sagarin: 182)
- Average RPI of opponents: 133 | Average RPI wins: 160 | Average RPI losses: 71 | Opponent SOS: 84
RHODE ISLAND'S SCHEDULE: ONE OF THE BEST IN THE NATION
- Rhode Island's non-conference strength of schedule is ranked 20th nationally. URI's overall strength of schedule is 51st.
- Non-conference, URI has faced six RPI top 75 foes - Duke (13), Cincinnati (14), Houston (52), Providence (55), Belmont (57), Valpo (63).
- The average RPI of the teams in the nine losses this season - 71. Total point differential in losses - 58 points (6.4 ppg avg. differential).
- Four A-10 opponents also rank among the top 100 RPI: Dayton (21), VCU (22), Richmond (82), and St. Bonaventure (95).
- In total, Rhode Island's schedule features 10 top 100 RPI opponents (11 total games).
- Rhode Island is 6-1 versus teams ranked 101-150 and 10-1 against teams ranked 101-200.
- Rhody is 5-6 against teams ranked in the top 100 on the KenPom.com rankings: Duke (16), Cincinnati (21), Dayton (33), Houston (44), VCU (47), Providence (55), Belmont (85), Davidson (88), St. Bonaventure (92), and Valpo (95).
TODAY IN RHODE ISLAND BASKETBALL - MARCH 4
- Rhode Island is 8-11 overall and 2-2 in Atlantic 10 action in games played on March 4.
- URI's most notable March 4 win came in 1977, when the Rams won the ECAC title by beating Providence, 65-62, at the Civic Center.
- On this date: in 1628, King Charles I issued a royal charter to the Massachusetts Bay Colony; the first U.S. Congress declared the Constitution in effect on March 4, 1789; Vermont was admitted as the 14th state on March 4, 1791; Chicago was granted a city charter by the Illinois state legislature on March 4, 1837; and prior to the ratification of the 20th Amendment, the first 32 U.S. Presidents were inaugurated on the March 4 calendar date.
- March 4 marks the dual celebration of National Absinthe Day and National Cheese Doodle Day.
- Notable March 4 birthdays: basketball star Draymond Green, U.S. Soccer standout Landon Donovan, gridiron great Knute Rockne, actress Catherine O'Hara, and Italian composer Antonio Vivaldi.
TODAY'S RHODE ISLAND FACTS YOU CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT
- Rhody is poised to lead the Atlantic 10 in scoring defense for three straight years - the Rams sit atop the A-10 stats, yielding 65.0 ppg.
- Saint Louis was the last team to accomplish the feat. From 1997-2001 - four straight years - Temple was tops in the A-10 in scoring D.
- The last time URI shot 100% from the FT line in a single half (min. 10 att.) was March 14, 2015 vs. Dayton, making 10-of-10.
- Hassan Martin will become the first player in A-10 history to lead the league in blocked shots for four consecutive years.
THE SAINT JOSEPH'S GAME - TRENDS, FACTS, FIGURES, AND OTHER STUFF
- Rhode Island connected on 15-of-17 shots from inside the arc in the first half and 21-for-31 from 2FG for the game.
- E.C. Matthews led the Rams in scoring for the 10th time this season; Rhode Island is 8-2 in those games,
- Rhody held Saint Joseph's to 49 points - the second-lowest scoring defense mark of the season (39 vs. ODU).
- Hassan Martin (12 points/9 rebounds) and Kuran Iverson (11 points/7 rebounds) narrowly missed double-doubles.
- With the win on Wednesday over Saint Joseph's, Rhode Island tied a school record with seven road wins in Atlantic 10 play.
- The record is shared with the 1987-88 "Runnin' Rams" squad that went 7-2 away from Keaney Gym en route to a 14-4 A-10 mark.
- Previously under Dan Hurley, the 2014-15 squad went 6-3 on the road in A-10 play en route to finishing 13-5 overall in league play.
60% OF THE TIME, IT WORKS EVERY TIME
- Hassan Martin is connecting just under 60.0% of his field goal attempts on the season - good for 25th nationally.
- He is on track to challenge Rhode Island's single-season FG% proficiency mark, currently held by Kenny Green.
- During the 1987-88 season, Green connected on 61.2% from the floor. He is the lone URI player to shoot 60% or better in a season.
- Martin has made 124 of his 209 field goal attempts - including his lone 3-point FG attempt - for a 59.3% mark so far this year.
- He ranks third in the Atlantic 10, behind Mason's Jalen Jenkins (62.2%) and UMass' Rashaan Holloway (61.8%).
- For his career, Martin is Rhody's all-time career leader in FG%, shooting 57.9% from the floor through 115 games played.
MARTIN RANKS AMONG NCAA LEADERS IN BLOCKED SHOTS, FIELD GOAL PERCENTAGE
- Hassan Martin ranks 10th in blocks per game (2.67 bpg) and 22nd in field goal percentage (59.5%) nationally.
- On the NCAA active career statistics list, Martin ranks second in career blocks (312) and sixth in blocked shot average (2.74 bpg).
- His 57.9% career field goal percentage is the 30th-best shooting proficiency mark among all active players.
- In the A-10 record book, Martin ranks eighth in blocks and needs eight more to pass C.J. Aiken of Saint Joseph's (319) for seventh.
- Martin's blocked shot average of 2.74 per game would rank as the sixth-best average in A-10 history.
- He was named the 2015-16 A-10 Defensive Player of the Year after leading the A-10 in blocks for the third straight year (2.5 bpg).
- He needs 16 blocks to become URI's all-time career leader, passing Kenny Green (328 blocks, 1985-90).
- Martin is the only active D-I player with at least 1,200 points, 700 rebounds, and 300 blocked shots.
NOW TRENDING: JARED TERRELL
- Since Jared Terrell's freshman year during the 2014-15 season - the Rams are 19-8 (.703) when he scores 15 or more points.
- This season, Rhody is 6-3 when he scores 15 or more and 14-6 when he tallies double digits.
- The Rams are 44-16 (.733) when the Weymouth, Mass. native reaches double figures in the scoring column.
- Rhode Island is 17-17 when Terrell scores less than 10 points.
IVERSON AVERAGING CLOSE TO DOUBLE-DOUBLE IN ATLANTIC 10 PLAY
- Kuran Iverson is averaging nearly a double-double in A-10 play, checking in at 10.3 points and 8.6 boards per game.
- In A-10 games, Iverson ranks third behind Mason's Marquise Moore (9.9) and VCU's Justin Tillman (9.5).
- For the season (29 games), Iverson leads the Rams on the glass (7.5 rpg), is fourth in scoring (9.3 ppg), and third in assists (1.8 apg).
- Following the Jan. 28 game vs. St. Bona, Iverson said: "I don't really look for offense anymore. I just try to play defense and rebound."
LEAVE NO DOWTIN
- Freshman Jeff Dowtin has become one of the most valuable newcomers in the Atlantic 10.
- He leads the A-10 in assist/turnover ratio (3.18:1) through 16 conference games (54 assists:17 turnovers).
- Over his last four games, Dowtin has registered 19 assists while committing five turnovers in 125 total minutes of play.
- Dowtin dished out a career-best seven assists in back-to-back games at George Mason and at La Salle.
- Dowtin had his best game as a Ram on Feb. 3 at Davidson, scoring 19 points (7-11 FG; 3-4 3FG) and notching four assists.
- The Upper Marlboro, Md. native is a two-time Atlantic 10 Rookie of the Week honoree (Jan. 2, Feb. 6).
- He has started the last 12 games at point guard, averaging 5.8 ppg, 2.4 rpg, 3.8 apg, 1.0 spg, 49:15 asst/TO (3.27:1).